How do you get the screaming to stop?!

My almost two year old(I know) screams about everything! That high pitched horrifying scream. I have a degree in child development and none of the tricks I learned as a preschool teacher work on my own kids ugh!!! Just use your words already and stop screaming!!!

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 2:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Earplugs
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Tickle them? Or scream along with them?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I always redirect my 2 year old to something else. For example, he loves dogs so we look for the dogs. Redirect their attention to something they like
    caromarie

Answer by caromarie at 2:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If he/she is screeming cause he/she want something. Do not give it to him/her. Tell he/she verbally tells you.

Answer by louise2 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I am going through the same thing! What I do with my son is I tell him he needs to use words and if he keeps screaming I tell him to use words and then ignore him. He usually throw a tantrum (which I ignore) and then in about 15-20 minutes he will come to me and try to say what he wants. For us, its more about him not always being able to say the words to tell me what he wants and he gets frusterated.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 2:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I know what you mean! My 24 mo grandson is miserable from head to toe eczema (secondary to a genetic medical condition) and at times gets in screaming mood. My son, DIL, and I take turns caring for him so no one of us gets burned out. Sometimes there is an underlying reason and then any little thing seems just too much for them to handle.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Redirection seems to work the best for my 2 year old or just taking him out of the situation. If we are in the store and he is screaming, we leave.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Does he have the words to tell you what he wants? Have you tried a picture communication system if he doesn't? We had a child who bit in my two year old class and we tried this: when he bit we immediately removed him from his peers, got in his face with good eye contact and quietly told him he had two choices: bite and play alone or not bite and play with his friends. To be quick enough we assigned someone to be within an arm's reach of him. It took a couple of weeks.
    dumpling999

Answer by dumpling999 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thank you ladies. He does have an extensive vocab. Sometimes he will scream his words. Redirection doesn't work. Guess I will just have to get some earplugs and wait out the phase.
    mslksdh

Comment by mslksdh (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010