Catch Oprah last week??? Embarassed by our failing education system?

Just wondering how many of you caught the discussion(s) last week on Oprah about our failing education system here in the U.S. and how you feel about it......

‎"We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system." Mayor Corey Booker, Newark,NJ.

GoJoMom2448

Asked by GoJoMom2448 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is not only the educational system. It is the parents also. Many children have no one to come home to in the afternoons so, they aren't doing their homework. Parents don't check in with the teachers. Teachers have no control of the children because they are ebing taught that the teacher "can't do anything" some children are taught from a very young age that they won't amount to anything because of whatever reason usually their race or class in society. Children are not taught to respect adults and when a child sees their parent not respecting the teacher than why should the child respect the teacher? Our local school system is not failing as a matter of fact the local children are doing very well for themselves.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I totally agree!!!! We are living in a Society where parents just dont care anymore it seems!
    GoJoMom2448

Comment by GoJoMom2448 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• This isn't news to me...our failing school system just began hitting the other class society, which makes news everywhere when it hits home...I never understood why children in the other class society received a better education than low income communities because children everywhere deserve a quality education...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes, I saw the show and the one the week before discussing the same thing with different guests. It's really sickening.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• For the record. The school my children attend is in a low class neighborhood 90% of the children receive some sort of public assistance.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I didn't catch the show but it's not news to me. I'm in my son's school every day, I'm president of the PTO. In a school with almost 600 students enrolled, we only have 16% participation in the PTO - sign #1 that parents don't care. Parents don't bother to show up when the teachers request a meeting for education or behavior issues - sign #2 that parents don't care. It's not that the teachers and administrators don't care, but they cannot force the parents to do their part. The school system is looked at as a free daycare, parents don't reinforce at home what their children are learning in school. It's sad, but it's the society we're living in.
    travzmom

Answer by travzmom at 11:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010