Why is it easy for some to preach about not judging yet are the ones who judge the most?

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 2:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We ALL judge, even if we don't mean to. But I think it depends on what we are judging about... Are we judging a person or the actions of a person or the beliefs which allow them to do the action?

For instance, Murder, Rape, Abuse... These are wrong... We all know they are. So is judging them to be wrong a bad thing? I don't believe so. Now, if someone kills someone else, chances are they have a reason, is it okay to judge that person before we have all the facts? NO. We know their action was "wrong" but does it automatically make them a bad person? NO. What about their beliefs? What if they have beliefs with allow them to view their actions as okay? Does that make their beliefs wrong? No, not necessarily...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I dont have a clue, its like there are special rules for some and different ones for others. I judge, i admit it.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Many Christians misinterpret what "no judging" means. It doesn't mean we cannot have an opinion about a person and/or an action. We can certainly determine if a person/action is good or bad. What we cannot determine is how that person/action falls into the grand scheme of things and what consequences the person/action deserves. In other words, we are allowed to judge within the limits of our humanity, fully knowing that our judgment would be incomplete and the only ultimate, 100% fair judgment can only come from G-d.
    But "no judging" doesn't mean that I cannot even say that a certain action is evil or a certain person acted wrongly. That I can certainly do with my G-d given capacity to understand right and wrong. What are and should be the consequences of that action isn't up to me, though. That's exclusively G-d's judgment.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My take on this is ... perception. We are to judge righteously but not in a way they tears the person apart. Many people confuse judging with correction and rebuke. The only people that we are to do that with is our fellow believers. INSIDE the church. God will do the judging on the OUTSIDE of the church. I speak of the body of Christ as the church as a whole not a building)
    Offense rears its ugly head so much people get offended when being corrected or rebuked IN LOVE and cry out these words " You are judgming me" My favorite book on this is called The Bait of Satan by John Bevere and it deals with offense. I also enjoy Culture of Honor by Kris Vallotton which deals with honor in the church ( body of Christ)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• "down-voted..for saying pretty much what everyone else said...LOL!! i see my new 'friend' is feeling vengeful again. yippee!"
    And, so far you are the only one with a downvote at all. lol! Somebody loves you!
    Anyway, to answer the op, I think people like to throw the word "judge" around alot. They seem to feel that if anyway disagrees with them on any level, then they are judging them. That's not how things work. People are allowed to disagree. Judging comes in when people start saying a certain behavior deserves punishment for an action.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• wow i just went back and read the responses and i'm impressed. generally this type of question turns into a really ugly and brainless discussion and you got some very thoughtful answers. i like the points that i will characterize as discussing the difference between having judgement and judging others. and the point about people taking differences of opinion as a personal attack. very good food for thought presented here.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• there is a difference in judging (everyone does it!), and pointing out wrongs. that is where things get skewed, usually by those being judged. wrong is wrong, no matter how its sliced.
    the thing is, when you judge, are you clear of the same wrong you accuse the other of?? hmmm...makes ya think!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I judge people all the time...I am not shy about it...but I see your point dullscissors...I guess I think that if you teach it or preach it at least follow it...lol
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Love this ^^^^^^^
    :]
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My point is, there is a difference between judging actions and judging people or beliefs. Personally, I do my best to stick to judging actions over people, and I try never to judge beliefs until I know the facts...

But at some point, we are all imperfect, we all screw up, and we will all judge.

You have the option to actively try not to judge or simply give in. For me, sure, I judge, I admit that, but I actively try not to. I think it's those who are happy to simply give in and sit on their "high horse" that are generally being "preached" against or too, not the average person who tries to see past their judgments.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010