Does it mean I got the job?

I had an interview last Tuesday. The company called me back Friday saying they were very interested, but that my references had not called back yet. I called my references and they said they would call her this morning. One got her voicemail. I am not sure if my other reference got a hold of her or not. HMMMM? I am getting excited for this job. If the company states they are very interested, do I have the job? Obviously pending references....???

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 3:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• At our company we only check references after we extend an offer. We say "this offer is pending the results of your reference check, drug screen and background check". So if we were to the point of checking references, it would mean 1. we already offered you the job and 2. that if those came back OK as well as all your other pre-employment screening, you got the job. But if they haven't offered you the job yet, I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket but I do wish you the best of luck though and it sounds promising. We wouldn't waste time checking references on someone we didn't want to hire :) Good luck!
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 3:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It may mean that they are checking the references of all the top candidates. No, it doesn't mean that you got the job - but it means you have a good chance of getting it! If they weren't interested at all, they wouldn't be checking your references. Good Luck!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Not always...it just means they are checking references. Some companies may also run credit/background checks.

I hope this opportunity comes thru for you

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• thats what i would think but i've been wrong about jobs....i hope you get it.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You have the job when you have a written offer and a start date.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010