???

my DS is a little over a month old. I cannot get him to sleep soundly. He's been this way for the past 2 days or so. I feed him and he will be sound asleep in my arms, and as soon as I put him down in his crib, on my bed, on the couch, in his bouncy seat, in his swing he starts to cry. Miraculously he is sleeping in his swing for now. Is this common? My first child didnt do this. I don't really want to start co-sleeping and he become dependant on that. I want him to get used to sleeping in his crib. However, I cannot stand to here him cry for more than a few minutes. Any suggestions to make this easier?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 3:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did co sleeping and that only got me about 1 hr of sleep a day but it was better than none my daughter did this same thing if she wasnt being held until she was almost 3 months old and it wore me out to no end. docs said at first it was reflux... wrong... then colic... well they donno if it WAS colic but it eventually went away and things got bett.er all i can really say is hang in there ((hugs))
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• oh about co sleeping my daughter i had her sleep in our room for 3 months when she turned 3 months she was in her own room BUT for naps during day she was in crib... when she would take naps that is.... and at night she was in bed with me and we had no prob getting her to sleep in own room and own bed at night but all babies are diff soo..
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If it just started a day or two ago, Perhaps something is wrong. Maybe he isnt feeling well..Or eating well and isnt content. Maybe he wants to sleep a different way(like wrapped or not wrapped)..Maybe hes hot...maybe hes cold...

If hes uncomfortable he may only find comfort in your arms..

My son is 25 days old..He did this too! About 10 days ago..Same thing, he'd sleep in my arms but wake as soon as i put him down..It was a long 3 days. BUT I found the problem...He didnt want to sleep on his back. He wanted to sleep on his belly. He sleeps fine now..But lordy! Dont lay him on his back to sleep! Lol

GOOD LUCK!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Does he ever make motions as if he's swallowing something even when he shouldn't have anything in his mouth to swallow?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• he's fed, clean, dry diaper, and at 1 month he wants to eat 6-8oz at a feeding!!!!!!!!! He doesnt spit up that much either. My mother suggested mixing a little bit of cereal in his bottle to see if that satisfies him. I fed my first DS cereal at 3 weeks(pediatrician reccomended) and it helped. He usually sleeps on his tummy too and I've tried him on his back and his side. I've tried swaddling him to. Idk what to do :(
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• @Coder_Chick..no he hasnt done that
    travisnowensmom

• Maybe hes a bit unwell and that's why he's being 'off.' My daughters 7 months and we do co sleep but during her naps and at night (before I go to bed) she sleeps in her car seat, I think it's because it's closer to her she feels more secure.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Ah, ok. I was thinking maybe reflux, but doesn't sound as likely. Do you have him swaddled/bundled while you're feeding him or rocking him to sleep? And what position is he in while you're holding him (where he's happy and sleeping) compared to how he's laying once you put him down? There've been a few times where I've had to rock her to sleep in as close to the same position (pressure points, etc) as when she'd be laying, and move her over as slowly as possible. Maybe lay him down on one of your shirts or something so he's still nustled close to something that smells like you?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i'm thinking of calling his pediatrician and see what she says i havent slept in 2 days & have a 4 yr old that needs attention i'm at my wits end
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• What you are describing is normal. Babies have always breastfed and slept in their mother's arms or next to their mother. It was dangerous for them to be alone. They wake easy and if they find they are alone they cry loud to let everyone know they may be in danger. In most of the world this is still what mothers and babies do. It is hardwired in babies brains. Try using a sling or wrap. Co-sleeping isn't something that a baby becomes dependent on. It's a normal behavior. It may be what you need to do to meet your baby's needs. Dr. William Sears writes a lot about babies and sleep. He has a web site and many books.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010