What's the story behind your child/children's name?

Okay Ladies,

I want to know the story as to how you came up with your child/children's name. Everyone is always asking how I came up with Jon'Marie (my 3 year old). It's my grandparents’ names. They raised me, and I wanted to show them how much I appreciated all that they do for me.

dsbishop22

Asked by dsbishop22 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Baby Names

• I named my daughter Lena after my grandmother and my daughter Olivia after my sister. Both passed away from cancer and were two of the strongest and most loving people I have ever known!
    Bee.Girl4177

Answer by Bee.Girl4177 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my 4 year old DS we named Travis after a friend of ours that was killed in an accident the day I found out I was pregnant. Our 1 month old DS we name Owen just because we liked it, it not very common, and a strong name.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 3:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Avery Monroe: I loved the name, had it picked for a few years (told no one til I was pregnant) I think Avery is so pretty and Monroe is after Marilyn Monroe.
    Sydney Jean: I have always wanted to go to Sydney AUS and Jean is Marilyn Monroe's real middle name (Norma Jean)
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i always wannata an emma if she had been a bpoy she would have been matteo trip.... i picked that one out of a book when i was 5 lol and emma i liked but my hub wanted emily so we named her Emma leigh that way i had my emma and he had his emily
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I wanted a name that was of Irish, Scottish, Celtic or Gaelic in origin, so I focused on looking for names under that specification and came across the name Conor, which I loved. Now, the meaning of the name is "lover of hounds," however for a few months, the website I used had the wrong meaning listed, and it was "one who is loved" and that there sealed the deal. Of course, it was corrected later on, but by that point I was still in love with the name (and he, he does love dogs, so it's true, LOL). DH's and my names both start with a C, so I thought well let's keep the same middle initials too. So I chose W for DH's middle name, however since there are very few W names that I like, I chose to give him the same middle name as DH, which is Wade. I also did that as a way to kind of soothe him in case he got upset that I had already picked a name out, LOL. He didn't however. Next child will have the initials CM, which are mine.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My husband suggested we name our daughter Claire because it was a name he had liked since I worked at Claire's when we were dating. I happened to like it, so that's what we named her. My husband also suggested our son's name, James. He was reading Harry Potter and I was reading Twilight when we were picking out names and it was one we both liked.
    lebrbria

Answer by lebrbria at 3:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Waverly(named after his dad) Jordan (a namee we both agreed on)
    Natasha (a name we both agreed on) Sandra (named after her grandma)
    Deja (a name we both agreed on) Kaleigh( a form of my middle name of Kaye except I wanted it to more pretty)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Davan Gabriela=Davan is the irish female form of David and she is named after my dad, Gabriela for a close cousin Gabriel that died the year she was born hence the single L in the name
    Hannah Beth=husband picked that one and i liked it too
    Jakob Daniel= sort of named for my fave liquor, Jack Daniels and it's a strong name
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Samuel Trevor - for FIL's cousin Stefan who died in the Holocaust at 17. Trevor was my grandfather's chosen last name.
    Talya - for MIL's mother Trude (no way was I naming a child Gertrude Henrietta) and my great-aunt Tatiana
    Rami Shai - means awesome gift. We just liked the name Rami and Shai is for my grandmother Sylvia
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My children were named after my father's fifth generation back grandparents.

JuliAna was my grandmothers name and her middle name is Amor same as mine... mother was into Latin means love.
    Catherine was the second child and middle name Lyn is a family name (also my dads middle name and her dads middle name)
    Gabrielle was the third child and her middle name is Jean which is the same as DH's mother.
    Hunter my husbands favorite sport and they share the same middle name of Wayne.... (Thank God no more kids if it was a boy it would have been Fischer
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 5:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010