Do you get upset if a friend or family member chooses a name you wanted?

Ok under most circumstances, I would say no. But I had a dream last night, LOL.

I hoping to have another baby at some point, and hopefully a girl (a boy will be fine), and I have a name picked out (the first name is one that I've liked since childhood and even has a connection to my own first name) if we do have a girl. I even have a nickname ready for it.

Now DH's niece is pg and we found out she's having a girl (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) ). No name picked out yet, however I had a dream that she picked the same first name I wanted (middle name was safe--thank goodness because middle name will be after my deceased sister) and oh man I was so heartbroken. I cried so hard. I was begging my MIL (her grandmother) to talk to her. I was trying to figure out how to respectfully and politely ask her to choose another name. Oh gosh, I was pathetic, LOL. All in just a dream. So I wonder how I would really react, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Baby Names

• Well, my mom named her new dog the name I had picked out for a girl. Then she told me her dog's middle name, and guess what, it was my second choice name! I wasn't pregnant or anything, but that came out of the blue...LOL So, I ended up naming my daughter after her great-grandmother. I have a friend that named her daughter after herself--that is weird!
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 4:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Nobody owns a name.. Me and my best friend have daughters with the same middle name .. and my new baby Im going to have has the same first name as a friends daughter & the same middle name as a friends daughter.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No one has a right to a name over any other. My grandmother was one of several cousins all with the same first name in honor of their common grandmother back in the old country. They all loved it. My mom had a friend who just loved my name, so much in fact that she used both names, she just reversed them.

It really wouldn't bug me. Then again, I'm done with having and naming babies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• YES. My husbands friends wife took the name we had selected for our son. The name we had picked out wasn't even on her list of names they wanted. I choose to get passed it and named my son it anyways.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I wouldnt care.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My sister's sons middle name is Dylan. We wanted to name my son Dillon. She had a big problem with it. Seriously, who even knows his middle name? Just our family. We don't even live by each other. I can guarantee that anyone we know besides my mother and sister does not know his middle name. I was very annoyed, but I'm over it. I like the name we chose.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If I had my heart set on a particular name and someone else beat me to it I probably would be upset. 

Hmm, maybe your dream means something.  If your niece does pick your name maybe you should consider going into fortune telling!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• This kinda happened to me. My SO and I were talking about our next baby. I dont want to find out the sex until he/she is born, but I want a name picked. So I want a name that could go wither way. I chose London... 3 weeks later my friend finds out she is having a girl and they are naming her London. I never even told her. It didnt bother me at all. If you like the name use it. Its your baby. If someone else has the same one, its ok. Its not your kid.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• A name is a name...thousands of people have the same name as you and your kids...who cares?
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't care - parents have the right to name their children whatever they want.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010