how do I get a 14 year old to eat something besides speghetti and be loving about it?

gregandstacy

Asked by gregandstacy at 3:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You cook whatever you want and tell the teen they are going to eat it or not their choice.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Hmm..Well 14 is a bit old to enforece rules about food. Should have been done a long time ago IMO.

BUT...Now....

"Thats dinner, take it or leave it".

He/She will eat if hungry!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'm with okmommy. You make whatever you want; or you could teach them how to cook! That might get her into other types of food!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• 14 years old is plenty old enough to cook their own food. If he/she doesn't like what is being served they can cook their own meal.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Try involving her in the meal planning. What are the foods she like? Look through cook books or the internet and look for new things to try. Try to get her into the kitchen to help prepare and cook too. Otherwise, make what you want and tell them to take it or leave it but they can't have take out and you wont make anything else. If they want to cook their own meal and clean up their mess, that's fine.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I started making my own food at 12 when there was something cooked that I didn't want, which didn't happen often since my dad raised me and I basically ate whatever he cooked. Currently I cook 99% of the time, so very rarely is there something made that I don't want...even when Dh cooks it's usually hot dogs or hamburgers....or one or the other added to whatever he made (such as pork chops or brats, I'm not a big pork eater, the hot dogs are all beef)

I think at 14, you should be telling your child that they need to either eat what was cooked or they can cook for themselves. You are not a short order cook and you shouldn't be treated as such.
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree that he is old enough to make his own food if he doesn't like what I cook. I have been going that route for awhile. THere is always peanut butter and jelly or oatmeal. Unfortunatly, his dad does not back me up and it turns into a huge argument. These days I stand my ground. I am not a short order cook. Thanks.
    gregandstacy

Comment by gregandstacy (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I feel like there is more to the story...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2010