Three year old on Ritalin?

My son will be four in November, and has been diagnosed with ADHD. I have ADHD also, so this diagnosis was no surprise. We tried putting on a SMALL dose of Dexedrine, and had a lot of trouble with his mood, and have just switched to Ritalin, and are at a minimal dose right now. I am looking for advice from other mothers with young children on Ritalin. I am looking for what might NOT be in the literature.

Please spare me all the lectures about how we should NOT medicate him, or just alter his diet, or how we need a second opinion. That's not what I'm looking for. He was diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic, and we underwent extensive testing and behavioral therapy before arriving at this conclusion. I am tired of being judged by people who have NOT walked in our shoes!

I am looking for advice and info from other parents who have medicated their children. Who might UNDERSTAND where I'm coming f

mommytoike

Asked by mommytoike at 3:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We medicate our son, but we started when he was 8. We had positive results, just not as positive as I would have liked. He struggles in school even with medicine. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son is 6 and is on Adderall. Ritalin gave him horrible mood swings and he didn't want to eat anything, so watch for decreases appetite. The Ritalin also made him stay up all night, he was calm, but he just couldn't sleep. Good luck!
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Holy crap!!!

I am almost heartbroken for your poor kid. 4 years old and medicated...that is seriously lazy parenting at its finest.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You are looking for advice from other mothers that have medicated their children. It can be hard to diagnose what's wrong at such a young age. Just because you have ADHD doesn't mean your child has ADHD. My son was diagnosed with ADHD and the meds didn't work. It was obvious something was wrong. It turned out he has bipolar disorder.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• OP ignore the people who can't read and are judging rather then helping. Thier parents must have neglected to teach them compasion.

We put my nephew on Ritalin at 8 and the most prominate side effects for him were that he had NO appetite. We couldnt get the boy to eat anything, not even candy, a very irritable belly ( the slightest greasy food made him queezy), and nasty head aches. If you need to chat just send me a message.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I figured that no matter what, I would still get that kind of response. And I have no problem ignoring it :-) I just understand that those people have probably never dealt with it, so they couldn't possibly understand. And if they WERE dealing with it, and weren't medicating, they were probably not doing their child any favors by withholding or not even trying the medication that could help them.

I think the decision whether or not to medicate should be discussed with a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL who has specialized training in Psychology/ADHD. Not that every child requires medication, but I think that if it will help my son, it is worth a shot. The decision to medicate is ultimately mine. So while I know MY CHILD better than the doctors, they understand THE CONDITION better than I do. I am willing to try medication that will possibly improve his quality of life. I am not medicating for MY SAKE, I am trying if for HIS.
    mommytoike

Comment by mommytoike (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In the extensive testing that was done, did they test for IgG antibodies? Have you modified his diet at all or tried other natural treatments before administering mind altering drugs to a developing child?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Actually, yes. We follow the Feingold Diet, and in addition to the bloodwork, we did a full cardiac workup. So my developing child was appropriately assessed before we decided to medicate. Medication was not my first choice. We (my husband and I) have been through behavioral training courses, and continue to meet twice a month with a group of psychiatrists and other parents of ADHD children. Our decision to medicate was made LARGELY due to the fact that we felt the impulsivity my son was experiencing was starting to affect his safety.

My question was not if other moms APPROVE of my decision to medicate. It was to get info/advice from other parents who have been where I am now. Thank you for your concern for my child's health.
    mommytoike

Comment by mommytoike (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Honestly I've never walked in those shoes, so I can't offer advice, but I can say you might want to check out the groups section of CM. I'm sure there are plenty of support groups for your situation that will offer support rather than negative opinions.

Just type in the subject you want and there should be a few. If not it would be great for you to start one, because I'm sure there are other moms that are in your same boat that would love someone else to talk to .
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Now THAT'S some good advice....... :-) Thanks xxhazeldovexx! And also to you wildwiccan83!
    mommytoike

Comment by mommytoike (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010