What should I do with a sister in law that is interfering in (financial) family business?

She is trying to separate my brother from his family and is very obnoxious. She is causing problems in areas that IMO are none of her concern (my hubby stays out!) and is making things awkward for me in my relationship(s) with other family members...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• If she's interfering directly with you, tell her to butt out! The others will have to do the same thing. I know someone like that, and the woman causes more problems.... Glad I don't live in that city anymore...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• This is your brother's wife? I think all you can do is draw reasonable boundaries for yourself, but be sure to remain respectful of your brother and his marriage. What happens between your brother and his wife is entirely between them, regardless of how differently you and your husband would handle things. Do you think she is abusing your brother? If that is the case, then you might want to try to reach out to your brother and offer your support if he ever decides he needs help.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have kept boundaries- she jumps them!! She has not "abused" my brother- unless you count giving up his belief system for her and being isolated from his family as abuse... My mom showed up 5 minutes late to see her granddaughter and sil had locked the doors and wouldn't answer or let her in. Just for an example...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Sounds like my SIL! Your brother needs to speak up as he has to live with her. I have never gotten along with my SIL and they've been married for 25 years! She's always trying to get into my business but I push her out and when she insists I do tell my brother to reign her in as she's on the edge of an a** beating if he doesn't - and even at 43 he knows I'll do it! But I do try and keep the peace because I don't have to live with her but my brother who I love dearly does. Your brother needs to put his foot down and tell his wife to stay out of other peoples business - sounds like she has too much time on her hands to be worried about what someone else is or isn't doing. Tell her you appreciate her comments and will take them into consideration. Then show her she isn't the Alpha Bi*** so back off!!!!!! Sometimes people like this just need someone to stand up to them adn they'll back down.
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 2:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2008