How would YOU change things to end sexism,sexual harassment and sexulization of very young girls? adult content

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 3:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• you can never end sexism or sexual harrassment. As far as the sexulization of very young girls, parents have the choice in what their children wear. So if you let her dress like a hooker at a young age she's going to think that its ok when shes a teen. So if I really wanted to the the sexulization, parents would be getting tickets for letting daughters where mini skirts and bikini tops and heels. I mean really a 10 yr has no reason to be showing off her belly.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 3:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree with browningmom...and I'll go one step further....if parents didn't buy that type of clothing for their young daughters, companies would stop making it....as soon as doing so cut into their profit margin.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 5:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree that the clothing that most easily available and affordable for young girls is simply appalling unless you want your daugher to wear solid colored t-shirts (from the boys' department) and plain jeans. There's nothing wrong with that, and I resorted to that one year, but little girls should look like little girls, not miniature partying singles.

Quality entertainment for school-agers and tweens (both boys and girls) is rare. Shows that depict good values and respect for authority and thoughtful relationships would be very welcomed on my home and, I suspect, in many other homes.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree with all post but the only thing that is going to turn the youth around is by following the laws of God and Jesus Christ found in the Holy Bible.
    Susan397

Answer by Susan397 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Teach my children respect, morals, and values. It will show in society.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't think Jesus Christ will do it....parents have to constantly set a good example and discuss issues with children in order to make sure their daughters have self respect and do not want to dress inappropriately. I seriously never had a problem with men behaving in an inapproptiate sexual way and I was respected and taken seriously. The same with my daughters. If you expect to be treated fairly ,you will be.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would give every little girl a loving father IN HER HOME with whom she could grow up.

I would give every little boy a loving father IN HIS HOME, modelling respect for the boy's mother, and showering his little boy with approval and affection, ... and accompanying the boy into manhood.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• As to the "sexualization of very young girls" (or ANY girls younger than 17 !!):

That is ENTIRELY within the control of the mother. Been there, done that. My mother-in-law gave our daughter Barbie dolls every couple of years from the time she was 7. But my daughter never saw them until she was about 10, and I could explain how weird these dolls looked and how they make little girls think that getting dressed over and over and over again was actually an amusement. She still has a box of these dolls and their clothes - unopened in their packaging - for future collection potential.

I myself toned down my apparel and beauty routines until she was a little older, so that I would not be modelling an over-emphasis on make-up, etc. as the way to "be a woman". I emphasized being active, intelligent, outspoken, affectionate, etc.

Once she was about 14, we fully enjoyed makeup, hair, clothing & shoes together as she grew older.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How about we go back to properly raising both our sons and daughters to be more respectful of themselves and others? Or even emracing the idea of teaching them how to be husbands and wives? Imagine what would happen if all the grown ups started acting like grown ups and stopped trying to be the "hottest' or "coolest' person and we embrace who we really are and are supposed to be? The lines are so blurred anymore! How is a boy supposed to become a man if no teaches and models that for him? How is a girl supposed to become a woman if no one teaches and models that for her? You can't ask more of kids than the grownups will do or allow.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2010