Do you have to take a day off from work when you child is sick?

I was wondering ... Originally I´m from Germany. You can stay at home for up to 10 days per year when your child is sick. The rule is `child sick - parent sick´. NOw I live in the Netherlands and here you have to take a day off to care for your child(dren) . Sa basicly you could loose your summervacation due to flu or whatever. Luckilt we managed so far, but it doesn't seem particulary fair to single parents with little or no social network.
What is it like where you live? Could you make a deal with your boss? I'm just curious.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had no choice but to take a day off work when my child was sick. I was playing the single mom role and had no one to rely on but myself. In fact I actually got fired from my job because I was only allowed 5 days off that weren't pre-approved a week in advance, and with my daughter being in daycare, she was sick ALL the time it seemed.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i have 5 days i can call out in a year...if have to do it more then that, I get written up and possibly fired. So most of them time when i am sick i go to work so that i have my days for my 4 year old. It sucks.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My job is pretty lenient.. so when my kids are sick, I can miss work without getting into trouble.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sometimes my husband stays with the kids when they are sick, or we each take a half day. If I do take off to stay with a sick child I can use a paid vacation or personal day, I can make up the time later, or I can take an unpaid day off.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No I never get a day off work!
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I sometimes do. If I do not...my dh does. HE can get off work easier.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If my child is sick I use one of MY sick days. Sick days for DH works the same. They are for personal illness OR illness in the immediate family.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Oh yes, I used to have to & my boss was not nice about it at all!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 5:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010