• In the Spotlight:

Are you a spender or a saver?

If you are a saver, what are some tips you have?

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 3:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I do a little bit of both. My husband is the main spender though, so I guess I am the main saver. It just depends on the day of the week, I guess. lol I have a weakness for spending money on books when I should probably wait for those, but I shop for clothes and food and other necessities more thrifty like.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Spender = (
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I used to be a Spender, now I'm a Saver! The biggest tip I have for you right now would be online coupons! I never got the Sunday paper for coupons but I will print them online and I have been saving a ton. Just Google "printable coupons" or "grocery coupons" and you'll find a ton of options. I saved $13 on my last trip to Wal-Mart, all with printed coupons, the highest single one was for $3 on a $5 item :)
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I spend when it comes to my family. Anything for them. I save when it comes to buying items for myself.
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Spender, unfortunately. :( Though I've become quite the saver in the past year we've been without income! Mostly just through using coupons, reusing items, even overlapping my loads of laundry in the coin-operated dryer so they cost less. I've also discovered that MANY of the products we used to buy at Wal-Mart are cheaper at the dollar store. For example, we buy our vitamins there now - 30 pills for $1, whereas we were paying $3+ for 60 pills at Wal-Mart. Same with toothpaste - we get a 3oz tube of Aquafresh for a buck, instead of 3.2oz for $3 at Wal-Mart! Little things like that really add up.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Both

Saver : a percentage of every month's salary goes into various savings, retirment, investment accounts, right off the bat. Even before I pay the first bill.

Spender: I also buy what I want/need when I want need it.. Not talking extravagent or huge purchases. But If I feel like spending money, it's there to spend.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Both. Savings, college fund for our son.
    Spender because I love starbucks coffee and have it often.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'm a saver. I try not to be and I know it drives my husband nuts, I can't help it though.

We save money by making meals at home. There are some nights when we want pizza- but we found out that it's a lot cheaper to buy the things that we'd need at the grocery store to make an amazing pizza at home than it is to order out. We save a ton of money and we eat better too.

The trick is to be realistic. You might want a pizza from time to time, so put it in your budget to buy the things you'll need to make an amazing pizza at home (pepperoni, sausage, cheese...) Maybe pizza's not your thing, but you get the idea :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'm the spender of the family because I have to but I also watch how it's spend wisely.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Definitely a saver. I only buy or pay for what is immediately needed, save the rest. If or when I need something, whether it's an article of clothing or a new car, I already have the money for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010