sciatica..is there anything you can do that accually helps?

im about 36 weeks and yesterday sharp pain started shooting from my butt all the way down my left leg..it hurt so bad i couldnt sleep so i called my dr and he said there isnt really anything you can do besides a warm compress..any one know anything else i can do?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have it too... They say walking is the best thing for it.. But I know, how can you even think about that?! I use a heat pack.. Also try different shoes. They are some at high end shoe stores, such as Earth Shoes.. not the type that Walmart sells... These are negative heel shoes, very expensive. Look into something like that.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'd be getting my tushy to a chiropractor.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• have the same problem i got a inch and a half memory foam matres topper legs up and some tylenol other hten that sometimes theropy
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I recommend a chiropractor as well. Most insurance companies will not cover it, as it is considered "alternative medicine," but I will; tell you the out of pocket payment (which is pretty cheap in my eyes,) is WELL worth not feeling a sciatic nerve issue.
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 10:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I also recommend a chiropractor!! It's well worth the money although just as a warning I went and it popped out again after 3 days but for 3 days I was good. Your body just might produce allot of relaxant and lucky you you get to have your hip or joints or (fill in the blank) pop in and out until you are done with this whole prego thing. Good luck!
    Kandeee

Answer by Kandeee at 10:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• get on your hands and knees and let gravity pull your baby off your back and hips for awhile.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 10:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• See if your ob will refer you to a physical therapist, they are less aggressive than a chiropractor. I would not recomend having adjustments while you are pregnant because of the extra relaxin hormone in your body. You are almost at the end of your pregnancy; hang in there and try some tylenol (for the inflammation) or hot packs. You can also try different positions to ease the weight on your spine and legs.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Check and see if accupuncture works for you.

Good luck!
    http://www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 6:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008