How can I get my lil' girl to STOP calling me by my first name?

terrible two's. talking. mama or mommy

jazmya_mom

Asked by jazmya_mom at 10:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's good that she knows you actually have a name.. that you are a human being...not just mommy... it's very smart... and it will pass!! My little boy went through it too... I just told him if he wants me to do ...whatever..... for him... to call me mommy, and he would. he still calls me Tina if i don't answer him right away. Now he is going through a phase where he calls me MOM!!!! it's so funny, I tell him that I am not his mom yet.. i am still his mommy... I'm not ready for his to be that grown up yet!! he'll be 3 next month!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Tell her again that your name to her is moma or mommy and that if she calls you buy your other name you won't answer her. Be consistent and she'll get the message loud and clear, especially if she really needs something important to her. It worked for me...twice!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think she is probably just confused... she hears others call you that and doesn't really know why... At that age they are trying to figure everything out... My granddaughter did the same thing.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• remind her to call you mom and dont respond to her when she calls you by your name
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My toddler is doing this now. Don't answer and tell her that you will not answer her unless she calls you mama.
    cheripa

Answer by cheripa at 10:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• If she would be calling me by my name I would'nt answer and would ignore her untill she said mommy.
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son did this for a while. I told everyone who was consistently around us to call me Mommy when he was around, instead of by my first name. Also every time he said my name I would so, "No, I'm Mommy" (in a happy voice, not in a 'you're in trouble' voice) He eventually stopped. SOmetimes it slips, and I just remind him that I am mommy.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER DID THE SAME THING EVERYTIME SHE DID IT I WOULD SAY NO TO YOU MY NAME IS MOMMY AND IT TOOK ABOUT A MONTH OR SO FOR HER TO STOP !!! IT'S JUST A PHASE THEY GO THRU !!! SHE WILL START SOMETHING ELSE NEW SOON !!
    Anonymous

• hah ..she lexie will call her dad by his first name,
    i dont know why or what it is and why they do this,

but ...at least they know our names seriously

i would just say who is that???
    i dont know,* fill in your name*
    and say IM MOMMMA and then tickle her non stop...and keep sayin mommmma mommma hahha
    she will know...that momma's are funn ...more so than the * fill in your name*
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• First time tell her that she is to call you mommy and not use your real name. After that stop answering her unless she calls you mommy.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 11:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008