If I go to therapist...

If I go to a therapist & during our sessions I tell her that I was sexually abused ( no sex, but touched inappropriately) as a child/minor (over 10yrs ago) does she have the legal right to turn the person in?

Or is that still in Confidentiality Agreement? it says
"therapist is required by law to report any statement of child or elderly abuse/neglect to appropriate authorities."

So by law does she have to report something that happened to me years ago, even if I dont want it reported?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Health

• No your therapist will not say anything to anyone. Unless you are currently in danger, it is against hippa laws to tell anyone anything.

Besides, you therpaist will know that if you confide in them now, telling anyone would not be in your best interest. I have been sexually abused and told my therapist, she helped me get through it and never told anyone.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think since you are no longer a minor and arent elderly she isnt going to report it. You may want to ask and see what your state laws are though.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If it happened 10 years ago, it's definitely a grey area. It really depends on the therapist and their own discretion.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Statute of limitations; it happened over 10 years ago, so she probably wouldn't have to report it, though I can't understand why you wouldn't want whoever did it behind bars; it could stop them from doing it to another child.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If it happened that long ago, it will most likely remain a matter of the therapist's choice. I'm sure you can let him/her know how you feel about the matter, but in the end it really is up to them.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In addition, statute of limitations does not start to run until the abuse is initially reported.
    inkedrunner

Answer by inkedrunner at 4:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sorry to everyone, but all this other information that people are giving you is completely false. By law, if you are over eighteen the only person that can turn your abuser in is YOU.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010