How far in advance do you plan meals? What do you use to decide what you'll have when?

I'm pretty bad at it. I can only usually plan a day or two in advance. This week I've got all the weekdays planned out - and even prepped as much as I can for the next couple of days.

If you plan further in advance, how do you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make a general plan when I grocery shop for the week, but basically I just go by whatever I feel like that day.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I plan what I'm going to eat on the day I'm eating it..

Some days I may think about the next day, but that's as far as I plan ahead.. Except for holidays/celebrations.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I buy ingredients for a week or two of meals. I don't like to plan out in advance what I'll make each day though. Usually the night before or the morning of I'll decide what to make. Some days I'll feel like making a more complicated dish while other days I want an old stand-by.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I plan for a month at a time.

I have a list of over 60 meals that I know my family will eat, anything from casseroles to hot sandwiches to roasts. I go through my pantry/fridge/freezer and make a list of food items that I already have. Then I will sit down and start making a list of meals that I can make using what I have. After that, I add meals that anyone has requested, favorite meals, a couple of new things to try, & whatever looks good.

When I've reached 28 - 30 meals on my list, I use www.mealsmatter.org to set up the menu plan, alternating the type of meals for variety. I plan meals that will use up fresh fruits & veggies for the first couple of weeks, then meals that use frozen veggies or the longer-lasting fruits & veggies during the last 2 weeks. That site also lets me print out each weeks' menu plan and I post it on my fridge so that I can see in advance if I need to do prep work for the meals.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Every Friday or Saturday I sit down and make a menu for the upcoming week. If we had more room and lived in a bigger place, I would do it every two weeks but once a week will just have to do. I put all of our meals, including the simple ones, on recipe cards and stuck them in a box. Now I just flip through it and pick out meals for the week from there.
    Once I have my menu, I make up an ingredient list. Then I go over to my kitchen and cross off what I already have. The remainder is the beginning of my shopping list. I add the staples, like milk etc that we always keep on hand.
    It took a while to get the hang of it but I can't shop without a list now!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010