drinking while pregs

before everyone gets all excited, I just want to say I dont promote drinking while pregnant.. however,

I dont think a small glass of wine very rarely is going to do any harm. It cant do any more harm than 2 tylenol, or all the drugs most women take for nausea or birth, like the epidural, etc.. Do you agree?

I had a small glass of wine on my anniversary this year at 6 months along, and I plan on toasting in the season with a small glass as well.

Otherwise, I am strongly against drug use, smoking, or any chronic form of drug or alchohol use while pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i9 dont risk it and im sorry but alchol (sp) and tylenol do not pose the same risks
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• it won't hurt you or the baby! also, many dr's have said that a beer a day is good for a pregnant woman... I think it is a personal choice.. society has made all these things so crazy! enjoy yoru glass of wine! I personally would never drink every day or get drunk while pregnant... but i did have a glass of wine every now and then. i think it's totally fine, i have two very beautiful boys!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Hello. This is just my opinion so please don't be offended. The fact that you are questioning yourself here means that you may have doubts about even ONE glass.

Go with your gut...

Mamabearone

Answer by Mamabearone at 10:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think it's selfish to drink/partake something that might in anyway harm your baby while he/she is within you. Tylenol is very VERY different from Alcohol. Alcohol will pass through the placenta while Tylenol and other drugs have been tested and some don't even make it past the Placental barrier. It's not worth that kind of risk to your child.
    Kandeee

Answer by Kandeee at 10:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• besides most research done on the topic states that it is safe!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Not questioning MYSELF just questioning other women.. I am completely ok with my choices.
    Anonymous

• Yes, tylenol DOES pass thorugh the placenta. Every drug does. It is not proven 100 % ''safe'' either, justa safER drug than others. Anything done in excess is harmful to the baby, whether it be an OTC or drugs or alcohol.
    Anonymous

• i never said that it didnt but it is not the same as drinking when pregnant why are you getting defensive you asked a touchy question and no not everyone is going to agree with you you had asked for opinions
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The truth is that we simply don't know the harm alcohol or any prescription drug can do to a developing fetus. Since we don't know for sure, the current medical opinion is to completely abstain unless there is absolutely no other choice. Why expose a developing fetus to harmful chemicals if at all possible? IMO, using alcohol is like going to the slots in Vegas. You are taking a gamble with the health of your baby. Since it is your baby, it is your right.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 10:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I am not getting defensive, I am stating my point. I dont think people should have to agree with me. It just amazes me some of the OTC medications that women will take without question, but they wont drink a small glass of wine or two during pregnancy. Do you really know all that much about alcohol, what it does, how it effects the fetus, etc?? And what about OTC meds? Just because your doc says its ok, or its not.. do you automatically believe him? Same goes for epidurals, etc....
    Anonymous