Did you know while you are living week to week (those who are anyway)

being lucky to spend 40-50 a week on groceries there is a family getting 400 a month in food stamps? Why is the pay out so high and the income limit so low. If my family can live off of 160-200 dollars a month why doe sa family with less income get more? Why can't I get 100 a month and they get 300. We would both be better off. Why not take the money available and supplement more families?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I know what you mean about the income level being ridiculous. I'll never forget how we lost our WIC benefits (and more) one year because my husband made $3 too much per year. Yes, 3 dollars. He had to ask for a pay cut just so we could get by, because at the time his income wasn't even enough to sustain us in the area we lived, yet we "made too much" for any type of public assistance.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• FS amounts are NOT determined by how much a person says they spend on groceries a month! It's determined by income & family size. And that's GROSS income..how much you make before taxes (or any health insurance premiums you pay) are taken out. They only take into account (as expenses) your rent/mortgage, utilities, child care expenses (if any) They dont care if you pay health insurance premiums, car payments, car insurance, credit cards...none of that is taken into account. Just your actual living expenses. If they took into account how much you actual take home on a check after all the taxes etc are taken out, and other expenses most people have (car payments & insurance), I'm pretty sure more people who could use some help would get it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 4:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My husband and I are having trouble paying for our food and yet according to them we make to much money....and we dont buy snack food or anything else just for us. And yet every pay day we end up neg in the account.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I could find no info confirming you can get more food stamps if you have food allergies. You can get different WIC foods.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree, it is difficult for middle-income families to get any help from anywhere! There are a LOT of problems with the way our government has set up some of these programs.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yeah I don't get it either. We used to manage federally subsidized housing and some of the families of 5-6 people would get 700+ a month for food. It's freaking ridiculous. I have never, ever spent that much in groceries. What really pisses me off is not only a lot of these families getting a ton in food stamps, they also have rent free (section 8); they get utilities paid for (energy assistance); and they get cash assistance as well!! Most of them of course would sit around on their asses causing all sorts of drama.
    We are middle class and we are definitely getting screwed.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thankfully especially in this economy I dont have to worry aabout feeding my family. I have a cousin and our kids are pretty close so we spend time together and she gets 500 a month in fs and gets steak,seafood and tons of pop and snacks. It must be nice.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Honestly I have an X friend who get 550 a month for her family of 4. She sells 150-200 dollars of them each month for 80-120 dollars cash. Clearly she is getting to much... NICE. ::shaking head::
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i agree. what about the assholes selling their foodstamps for less than what they are worth to get cash for other crap!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I know what you mean. I know one women who has 2 kids and gets $700 a month in food stamps, yet her daughter comes into daycare every morning eating gummy bears for breakfast. The women lives with a family so in exchange for rent, she buys the household groceries.My sister however, works 2 jobs just so she can support herself and her daughter and she gets no support from the government.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010