Dd has cat scratch fever!!

I noticed my dd had a swollen lymph noid in her hip area yesterday so i took her to the dr today and he said itd cat scratch fever! We have a 5 month old kitten that about two wks ago scratched my dds leg when he was chasing a fly that landed on dds leg. I cleaned it and thought nothing of it after that. The cat is an indoor/outdoor cat so we have no litter box.

Shes on a 10 day antibotic now in hopes that the swelling goes down or we will have to have it drained :(

anyone else had this? An older lady died last year from cat scratch at our church so now im in panic mode major!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 4:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• A cat I had bit my leg and I got put in the hospital for 3 days on liquid antibiotics. My dog bit my hand and I was on antibiotics. It is not just cat who can do that fever thing.

Answer by louise2 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I work in an animal hospital and me nor anyone else currently working there has ever gotten it. One girl about 9 years ago did though. She did have to have hers drained but she was older. Myself and co-workers have had multiple issues with infected cat bites though...I got nailed today. ouch.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My dd is 22 months old and has mild cat allgeries which we also just found out. Im upset that i have to get rid of my kitten but i cant put my cat before my daughter ofcorse. I am in complet shock that she has this. I took her to the dr thinking it was just a swollen gland or at worse a hernia... Never thought it could be from my kitten! I dont know how i will handle it if i have to have her admited to the hospital!
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I never heard of that! I just thought it was a Ted Nugent song.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yup I had it when I was about 22, it was pretty rotten - similar to Mono. The good news is that once you get it you do not get it again:)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• eww, that is awful-it has never happened to me
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 5:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i got it a few times as a vet tech, never did any real harm, bust antibiotcs for a few days and off i went
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 12:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010