I keep getting these daycare jobs because I will get a discount on childcare. I just lost my job at the daycare I was getting free childcare it was a great job, i worked there for 3 weeks and my daughter got hand foot mouth disease and i had to be out with her for 2 days. They called and fired me because I needed a better support system for when my daughter is sick. I just feel they did me wrong its no ones responsibility but mine to watch my daughter am I wrong?

aelaird1124

Asked by aelaird1124 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• No your not but when you have a job like that those kid's are a responsibilty. Maybe for just 2 day's it was a bit much. Some daycare's don't let you work where your daughter attend's. Is there CDS where you live? Here in Miami if you work more than 20 hr's a wk yo can apply for it and they pay for the daycare. I'm a pre-school teacher as well and my dd would go where I worked. Whenever she got sick I would leave her w/ my mom. I would have loved to have stayed but my student's were like my adoptive family and they were expecting me daily. I would try not to miss, maybe should try and call them up. Good luck!
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• But on the other hand it is their responsibility to make sure they have their employees there to do their job. If you have a job you need to be able to be there to do it.
    Pat-S

Answer by Pat-S at 10:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• uuugh i worked at a day care too and i got the same b/s when my kid was sick...may be if they mad a cleaner place my child be sick from that place huh ?
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 11:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Did you have any sick days or vacation? Or did you just take it off? I understand why you did take it off and that is very understandable! Sounds like they just wanted a reason to fire you!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Come one...2 days? I don't care if it was a daycare. They should know better than anyone about sick kids and the struggles of single moms. They see it everyday. Plus they should have a couple of people on call that comes in for things like that. What if you were sick and it wasn't you child? That's crazy....I would agree with businesswife, it sounds like they just wanted a reason to fire you.
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 12:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• As a Preschool Owner-Director is really difficult to rearrange schedules when people call in sick ...And it is typical in daycare centers. So a lot of us just get tired of dealing with the same thing over and over...Maybe your daughter was sick for real...but do you know how stressful is for a director to get calls from the teachers claiming that they are sick when it is not true...So we just treat everyone the same. Like I tell the teacher when I hire them....Attendance is a priority...and techers with children always tell us that they have arrangements in case their kids get sick , but is never the case.
    BTW Foot -mouth disease you do not only get it from daycare....have you thought shopping carts??? And it goes for all other illnesses too. Parents usually blame the daycare center for it. Do you make your children was hands the right way and often? That is how kids get sick the most, bad handwashing techniques.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2008