I have a 6 month old cat and I'm pregnant, Do I really have to get rid of my kitten?

The cat is strictly indoors and well groomed! I love my cat and I love being pregnant! Why is there so much worry about having cats?

GeminiMommy6116

Asked by GeminiMommy6116 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Pets

• I had two cats thru both prgnancies as well as worked at a grooming shop that did cats and I fostered kittens. And YES I changed all the litter boxes. If I didn't do it it would not have been done. The concern is that the parisite the COULD be in the poop will get on your hand and then you ingest it. If you wash your hands well after cleaning the litter (which I hope EVERYONE does anyway) you will be fine. I still have my two cats and two healthy happy kids.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You don't have to get rid of your cat, you just aren't supposed to change the litter. When I was pregnant with my now three year old, we actually got my other two kids a kitten so they would have something smaller than themselves to get used to before the baby came. I still have him and I am currently pregnant with my fourth baby, and I change the litter all the time...otherwise, no one else would do it! (Dh is allergic and cant change it)
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It's because of the dangerous parasites that could be lurking in their poop. You can certainly keep your cats, just have someone else change the litter box.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The only reason you would have to get rid of it is if you don't have anyone else to clean the litter box. If you're worried about clawing try something called soft paws, its a much better alternative to declawing. Enjoy your kitten!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You do not have to get rid of your cat.

It is a myth that cats suck the breath out of babies. You should find someone to clean the litter box though.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 5:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i had a cat right threw my pregnancy.....Just don't change her litter, get someone else to do it, cause there it something in her/his poop/pee or littler that can cause you to miscarry or have a still birth! I dident have any trouble with it i got dh to clean the cat litter and i was never in the same room as the cat litter...i think as long as you don't be near the litter you should be fine!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 4:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No, you definitely do not have to get rid of it. If you've been living with the cat since before you were pregnant, chances are that you already came in contact with the "dangerous" toxoplasmosis and the danger is over. However, you can still take precautions like wearing gloves while changing the litter box, or better yet, asking someone else to do it. And just don't let kitty rub her little butt all over your face or anything like that. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No!! Why? I had cats for a 3 pregnancies. You are not supposed to change the litter, that's all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• not really you just cant do the litter or cleaanit or go near it
    tweetylove214

Answer by tweetylove214 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You can have your cat tested for toxoplasmosis through the vet's office. Not all cats are carriers, so its possible you have no worry about cleaning the litter box yourself. Or, you can do as I did - play dumb and get the hubby to do it :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010