Should I get the flu shot for my 3 yr old & 6 month old?

I'm torn--in the past, whenever I've gotten the flu shot, I've immediately gotten the flu. The one year I got it for my 3 yr old, she was sick the next day. We've gone the past 2 yrs without it. Should we get it this year? Why or why not?

destinee_115

Asked by destinee_115 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Health

• My oldest (4 1/2) has gotten the flu shot since he was 6 months old and knock on wood has never gotten the flu or even had more that a little cold. Next month when my little one goes in for his 6 month shots I am also going to get him the flu shot. I have heard that once they start getting it, they have to always get it or they are more likely to get the flu without it. I saw my mom and husband be hospitalized when they had the flu so its always scared me that my babies would get it...good luck with your decision! ;)
    mompennington

Answer by mompennington at 8:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I do not and never will give my kids the flu shot. I don't believe that they do any good and we've lived all our lives (us parents) without them and survived the flu just fine, just as my kids will do...
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 9:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I do not vaccinate at all. Even if I did however I don't feel I would get the flu shot. It doesn't in most cases protect against the flu symptoms it just gives you a mild form as you said. The vaccine only protects against one type of the flu anyways so you can still get a different strand. Also I believe (along with many doctors) that the more we vaccinate against non-leathal viruses the stronger we are forcing the viruses to become... Viruses will mutate in orer to survive. So we are in effect creating a stronger virus by vaccinating for things like the flu and chicken pox...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2008