What to do about a 15 year old that does not want to come home.

My girlfriend's 15 year old son stays out until she has to go look for him to come home. She is a good mom and is involved with him in his school and for the most part he gets decent grades but everyday after school and on the wekends he spends his time hanging out at the skate park with his friends. Some of them are even in their 20's. He has to be hunted down every night and physically brought home. She spends every day very upset . He has told her he hates his home and wishes he didn't live there.

flutterby.layne

Asked by flutterby.layne at 4:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When my sister was doing this at this age, my mom started reporting her as a runaway with the police. She would give them the address that my sister was at and they would go get her and bring her home in the squad car. My mom did this in order to protect herself should her teenager do something that she wasn't supposed to do and then someone could come after my parents. She can report her son as many times as she needs to, but maybe being picked up once by the cops may set him straight.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it is just a faze because my 15 yr old doesnt like to be home either. But I dont have to go hunt her down each day. I think what the pp said is really good advice or just keep doing what she is doing.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• As I tell my 14 yr old son, if you think it is so bad at home, then I can arrange for you to live in a foster home. NOTHING but a few changes of clothes would go with you. NO computer, Xbox, Ipod,phone, etc. Then I show him the stories in my Child Welfare textbook that shows what can happen in foster homes. If that doesn't work, call the cops everytime he doesn't come home at the agreed upon time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Hopefully it is just a phase. It is so hard to be a teenager and it is even harder as a parent, not knowing when to hang on and when to let go. She should set some boundaries though, about what time to come home, where it is acceptable that he hang out, keep his grades up, etc.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i have to agree its just a faze my dd 15 spends almost all of her time with friends away from home until right up to curfew......is just showing independence from the parents......but i would be a little worried about her 15 son hanging around with 20 somethings that could end up not good.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son is 17 and never did that!!!! Take him to counseling.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• call the police, One trip of that should straighten him out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• why does he hate his house? Has here been changes there? Regardless, he has to stick to a curfew. If he has a Dad have him scare him
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010