Is this some kind of stage?

I took my son to my works picnic. There was about 12 kids around his age there and instead of playing with them he just sat on the picnic table and played his v-smile, his cars, or his blocks. Anyother time he would ignore the *car bag* of toys and be off and running until i would have to drag him home when other kids are available but all he wanted to do was sit next to me and play. Other kids he knows came over and played with him now and then but he never seemed to want to get up and go play...what gives? My son has always been social and now that he is getting ready to turn 5 he is becoming the loaner kid? what should i do?

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe it was too large a group of kids? I know my daughter withdraws a little in VERY large groups but, in smaller numbers, she's a very social little girl. Just like they have to get used to being around other children (initially), some kids also need to transition into situations where there's a larger number of "options" for play.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, but if he starts to change his normal, every day routine regarding his friends, I'd think about talking to a doctor just to be sure.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It could have just been the day. But I would watch him, to be sure there is not something else going on.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• He might not of wanted to be social that day. U can always ask him. If it continues, call his Dr
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I talked to his teacher this morning and she said that the first 2 weeks of school he was very social and talked to everyone but lately he has been quiet and playing alone at pre-k to.....

I asked him why and all i recieved was a shrug and a pouty face. Any ideas of what could cause this? i thought about a bully but dot hey have those at pre-k level?
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2010