I think this is a little ridiculous, what about you?

Maybe I'm being a little oversensitive about this, but...

DD just started preschool this year and we are paying to send her to a private school. Besides the monthly check I'm writing to the school, we as parents are expected to provide a bag of supplies like tissues, crayons, etc for the classroom, as well as provide snacks for the class on 4 days throughout the school year. Okay, fine. Since I don't have to buy her a lot of supplies like kids in older grades need, that seems reasonable.

But then I discovered a note that asks us to enclose CASH in that bag of supplies, to help pay for "snacks throughout the year".

WHAT?!

I feel like that's absurd. Is it just me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in

• Absolutely insane. I have never heard of that. I would enclose a note politely declining the request of cash and letting them know that I would be happy to provide snacks on my 4 days throughout the year. That's it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it's absurd.. I can not believe how some of the school systems are changing due to budget cuts.. it's like they do not realise the importance of early education. What if you can not afford to do this?
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 5:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My DD goes to headstart so everything is free i didnt even have to buy school supplies.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• That doesn't sound right. If the kids have to provide snacks throughout the year, why do they need extra money? My son also has to provide snacks on certain days but the teacher breaks it up so that thoughout the month, a different child is bringing a snack every day. Why can't they do that?
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would be changing schools.....
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If you're already paying for her schooling, I feel everything should be included. My children are older and in public school, so I have no problem supplying things like Clorox wipes and tissues. I would draw the line at cash though. I'll send a snack daily if they need it, but I'm not giving them cash in order to purchase what they please.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thanks ladies! (Not sure why I posted this question Anon; didn't mean to!) I think it's ridiculous and I did not offer up any cash. I'm already paying for her to go to that school, plus signed up for an extra round of snack-bringing just because there weren't enough parents to cover every week of the school year. It irritated me to no end when I saw that request. It seems unacceptable to me - if the school isn't providing any money for preschool snacks out of their budget, something needs to be reevaluated, yeah??
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't do private school, but even our public school doesn't require a bag of supplies to be sent in... I actually had never heard of that kind of thing til I was on this site this past summer... I mean, kids are expected to have the basics, a pencil and a notebook, but beyond that nothing needs to be provided by the parent, the school does it all. I don't know why it would be different anywhere else... And if you are paying for the schooling, something tells me you're paying a LOT more than we are for public school (which is $11 a year but it's paid by everyone who lives in the district regardless of whether or not you have kids in school)... Anyways, my point is, for what you're paying something tells me they should be able to afford snacks without the extra cash.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Welcome to private school... when you are paying for private school they do not recieve a lot of funding like a public school. What until they are old enough to participate in sports and extra activities.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 5:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• There shouldn't be any reason for you to send cash, exp. if all the parents are providing snacks through out the year.

Maybe talk with the teacher and find out exactly what this is for?
    try_again

Answer by try_again at 5:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010