What is the best age to have "the talk"

Is my 7 year old ready to hear about the birds and the bees? How would/did you handle this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, my kids are 3 & 4 and they've already had "the talk." In our family it's a conversation, it starts as soon as they are able to understand body parts and doesn't ever stop... They know all about sex, different kinds of sex, the hows and whys, masturbation and of course molestation...

If you approach it as you would any other conversation and don't make it awkward, it won't be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It should be on going BUT 3-4 Good touch bad touch 8-9 Mechanics male and female, cycles, sex, masturbation/self exploration 11-12 Emotional aspects. dating, lies, love vs. lust... IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• exactly what Sabrina said. That is our family.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I want to correct something. When I say self exploration at 8-9 I mean as a means of pleasure. I talk ed to my children about the appropriateness of where we touch ourselves as soon as it came up t 8-9 I will talk about hwy it feels good. I will talk about anything sooner if they ask. If they are old enough to ask they are old enough to know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In my house I'm not going to offer much info up til age 3rd grade or so..... til then I prefer answering questions as they come up

A real official talk explaining plumbing and stuff.... 7 seems young to me, IMO. They are only innocent for so long.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I never had one talk with any of my children. I answered their questions as they arose and used life around us as teachable moments. I never explained to any of them how the body parts work, only that they are to be saved for the one person that they choose to marry and spend the rest of their lives with. All of my children learned about sex from their spouses after the wedding, so I believe that my method was highly successful.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If a child starts asking questions, then they are ready to know. You should answer their questions honestly and with age appropriate responses.

Planned Parenthood actualy has a really good pamphlet on what information is appropriate for certain age groups.

Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 9:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have had good results with having lots of talks, not just one big one. If my son has questions, I answer them honestly but at his level. We started having talks when he was 5 or 6 and he is now 11 and is pretty well educated about things. There are still things he will learn eventually, but we just do these conversations in small doses and it works really well for us.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010