stetching hamburger meat

what are some ways of stretching hamburger meat?

Gods_Girl1979

Asked by Gods_Girl1979 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Depends on what you are making...I mix veggies into my meats to make the stretch. Carrots, green peppers and purees peas and bread crumbs in meat loaf. Black beans in Tacos, Bread crumbs and egg in hamburgers...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I mix turkey meat with it. turkey is normally cheaper and when mixed there isn't much of a flavor difference.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• how do you mix the black beans in it?
    Gods_Girl1979

Comment by Gods_Girl1979 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have 4 boys and a husb. I use half lb for 2 boxes hamb halper. I use 1 lb per 4 lbs spaghetti noodle. I find if I add extra veg in dishes they don't notice the lack of meat lol ooh colors !! Making hamburgers. Add filler onion,green pepper,bacon bits, a little egg a little water and it will streach out. Hamburgers and meatloaf take soo much to make so those we have on occasion.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Make a casserole with the beef you have. Brown it and add some macaroni or noodles that have been cooked, peas, corn, mushrooms, some canned tomatoes with the juice, some onion and garlic, a splash of red wine vinegar and some worcestershire sauce. Mix it all together and top with some shredded cheddar cheese and bake until heated through. Yummy meal with salad and bread.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I just do the meat in a pan and add a can of beans to it and heat them through then season all of it as I would just the meat. I can make tacos for 4 with left overs with 1 pound beef and a can beans.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Ditch the meat all together, and buy dried beans or lentils

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010