When did your toddler learn colors and shapes?

My daughter is 32 months and she has some moderate delays in speech, fine and gross motor, so I'm not too surprised to see minor cognitive delays, but I was wondering when your toddler learned their shapes and colors? Mine still can't identify these shapes or colors, let alone say them.. (please don't tell me that some kids are late bloomers, she's been in therapy since she was ten months, she has hypotonia and developmental delays, not late bloomer syndrome.) Thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 10:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well most people in the group I am in say their kids know all their ABCs, numbers, colors and shapes (our kids just turned or are turning 2 by the end of Oct). Personally, while I am sure not all of them are lying, it seems a bit far fetched. My son is 2, he knows a few numbers, a few letters, a few colors and some shapes on and off. I was told 3-3.5 was the normal age for learning most of this stuff.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Honestly 2 1/2 or 3, I don't believe in rushing her she still get's her shape's mixed up and she's now 4.
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My dd was about 2 1/2 and my son was about 3 1/2. My son wasn't that interested for awhile, so I just waited for signs he was interested in learning.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 11:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my doughters 2 and she knows some of them ,not all she dose know her abc i was surprised by that she just turned 2 on 8/31 .
    my3wormies

Answer by my3wormies at 11:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My daughter will be 2 on the 27th,

She can spell almost her whole name, but i think its more like a habit. like almost the abc's
    because i will say A. L E . X . I..S ...over and over and have been since she has turned one,

and she will follow it with me,

she knows 1234.
    she knows what her ..eye nose and mouth are, but calls her eyes...E'S

go figure

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son Zachary who is typical recognized and could say them all at about three. Colors were earlier, I would say around 2.5, shapes a little after he turned three. His brother, who has autism, had to learn how to communicate them to us, we showed him cards of different colors or shapes and asked him "show me red...etc." "show me a circle" Now he can say most of them at age five. Each child is different and unique, they all learn differently, and it is o.k.
    samuels_mom

Answer by samuels_mom at 11:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• well i dont have a job so i have nothing but time on my hands. Im a strong believer in a child learning. My son turned two September 24th. He knows some of his colors, he can count to 10, he knows his shapes, he can spell his name, he knows letter recognition..etc. As much as I would like to take full credit for him learning this much I cant. I mean I go over everything with him EVERYDAY but honestly I only taught him to spell his name, his primary colors, what a star is, and I only counting. Oh and saying excuse me, thank you, you're welcome, and ma'am. Everything else came from Nick Jr. lol. Maybe that'll help her.
    quinesha_87

Answer by quinesha_87 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Most of it I think is repetetion. My daughter started signing when she was 4 or 5 months old but didn't start walking until she was 14 months. She can count up to 10 and she can distinguish colors and numbers on a puzzle board. It jsut depends on the child . everyone is different.
    alaskaice

Answer by alaskaice at 12:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Mine learned her colors by 2 which surprised the heck out of me. She knows most of her shapes too which also surprised me. I have heard of perfectly normal kids not learning them until 4 or 5 - they just weren't interested in learning it despite lots of work with mom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I dont remember when my kids learned their's .. especially my little girl.
    She was 5, but do to a late birthday, couldn't go to kindergarten yet. So I took her to get screened for a CARE program since she still couldn't tell me any colors, numbers, or letters... but when I took her to be screened - they wanted to know why I brought her - She knew how to count to 20, all of her colors, letters, and could even write her name. She just didn't want to do it for mommy !!
    UUHHHGG.. I love that kid.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2008