My friend is having a hard time with her DD and I want to help.

She is always crying when left with anyone. Should I offer to take her a few days a week to help the transition to daycare or she should just go to daycare and have them deal with her?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 5:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your question says that she cries with anyone. Does that include you. How long has she been at daycare? Is there a reason that she is crying there and she wouldn't with you? Are you just trying to postpone the adjustment? Does she have to go there? Maybe that daycare is just not a good fit for her.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• She is not in daycare yet, but will be going in a month. She does cry with me, but at least I know her, so I thought it would make the transition a little better.
    jshimmy

Comment by jshimmy (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• All kids go through some level of anxiety when let with others. Most quickly adjust. While it's great that you want to help, you may find that having her left with you then having her left with another person might make things tougher for her (i.e. two different changes). You might try it one day and see how quickly she settles down with you after her mother has left. If she adjusts fairly quickly (or can be easily distracted), she's probably going to do just fine at daycare. They're typically very good and getting the kids moved on to a fun activity and past the initial fears.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010