My MIL wants to see the kids more, but she expects me to go to her house all the time. I work and only have so much time to spread around. What should I tell her?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 5:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I am a grandma. I love to pick the kids up from preschool or school. I go to school and have lunch with them. When there are conflicting times with games, lessons or activities, I take one. I take the kids to the beach for long weekends. Actually we just got back from a two week trip to Florida and Disney with the three grandkids. They come over on the weekend for the night. I go to their school events, PTA, concerts, etc. I get to see the kids and I am a help.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Invite her over. My mil is the same way. I started calling her on a Thursday and inviting her over on either Saturday or Sunday to see the kids. She started taking the offer when she relized I was not bringing the kids to her. I will bring them over there about once a month though.
    mamameg82

Answer by mamameg82 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Wow my mom never wanted to see my kids if she wants invite her over to the house and have an hour off.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Tell her that she is more than welcome to come over any time she wants. That leaves it up to her to do the traveling.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just tell her you are very busy but that she is always welcome to come to your house to see the kids.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• ASk her for coffee.Find an hour or two on the weekend. That is what I do. She will work around your busy schedule. Especially during school time, it is so tough. I have so been ther done that and I know what you are feeling. As they get older, it will get better, but just bite your tongue and just grin and bear it.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Me too, pinkdragon. My mother will not come over and my going over there once a week was not enough....so now she never sees her granddaughter. I DID tell her that she could come over any time she wants, but.....dunno.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My mom has never said she wanted to see my son and he is 7yrs old, then again she isn't aloud to see my children so it works out.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My MIL wanted to see my DS more, so I told her she could pick himup from school and keep him for awile any day she wanted. This has worked great, it gives me a little more time to catch up without him, they get time together, and everyone is happy.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 6:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010