Parents: Do you plan on having your child learn a second language?

Any language, whether it has to do with your nationality or not.

Do you think it would benefit your child in the future as far as employment goes?

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 5:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son has and is learning a few different languages. He has learned: japanese, korean, hindi... He is now working on cantanese and mandarin.

My son's language choices were all based on his future academic and career goals.

((he also knows some Punjabi since my husband and his family speak Punjabi))
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We have enough problems with english.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes it is a major benefit to the child. My son is two and fluent in both Spanish and English. He has many oppurtunites just because he will is bilingual. So many doors have been opened just because of being bilingual. I would love to teach him Chinese, that is a way bigger door to be open.
    caromarie

Answer by caromarie at 5:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'm Dutch, and I'm fluent in 4 languagues. Well, used to be anyway, haven't used my French or German in quite a while. I would have LOVED to raise my child bilingual, but it's hard to do when you're the only one around who speaks another language. I will try my best to find him an international school when the time comes, I believe being multilingual is definitely an asset.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My oldest son is fluent in Spanish and currently taking German.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 6:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Japanese and Korean were must for him.. He wants to be able to transfer from MIT to an international studies program and go to school in either Tokyo or Seoul for his doctorate. Hindi, the field of work he's going into (Robotics engineering) , is a field that many Indian engineers are going into. And many jobs will be located in Asia/SE Asia once he is finally finished with his education. But he has a long way to go yet, he's just in his first year at MIT.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My DD is 4 and when she goes to Kindergarten they actually teach them spanish. I think if you can speak english and spanish you have a better shot at getting a job these days.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• 2 years of foreign language are required in high school where I live. Of course, I had 2 years in high school and 2 more semesters in college, and I couldn't really say I speak a second language.

I think truly learning a second language might be beneficial, but the required courses aren't enough to get you to that point.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Both of my daughter's, as well as myself, are bilingual (Spanish and English) and I've had people tell me that it will really benefit them when they're older and applying for jobs along with other people who have the same degree and amount of experience (but no 2nd language spoken). I was just curious if other parents were going to have their child learn a second language to open more doors for them in the future. I'd really love for them to know French, German, or another foreign language as well.
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My DD's school teaches Spanish as soon as they start first grade, and I love that. I would really like her to learn German though, because it's part of our heritage and there are many fluent speakers in our extended family.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010