Do I tell my boss that I have been ill or do I wait until he asks about the time I have been taking off.

I have called in sick at least once a week now for 6 week, I have the time to take, but I feel guilty about calling. Do I tell my boss that I have been having some health issues, so that he understands or just wait until he asks. Prior to this I have taken 2 sick day in the last 5 years.

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 5:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would tell him. This way he cant try to deny your time off if you need it due to your health.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Tell him I have to tell my boss.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would tell him... as an Employer, I would prefer to know whats going on, then I don't have to wonder if I just have a slacker for a secretary. You have a legitimate reason, just let him know.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would tell him, especially if you expect it to continue. Plus, you don't want him to think you have just suddenly become less reliable, which is how it could appear if he doesn't have the facts. You don't have to tell him specifics about your condition, but do tell him something. I hope your health improves.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Absolutely tell him.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• make sure you have the doctor's proof. a guy i was working with did the same thing and got fired for not having the proof.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would tell him so that he doesn't end up being dissatisfied with your work performance. Just because you have the time to take doesn't mean you should unless you legitimately need to use it. We've let people go in this sort of situation because they weren't honest about it and they were absent too much to get their work done.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would tell him after filing for FMLA. Since this is an illness that has you out of the office once a week for the last six weeks AND you are concerned about what the boss may be thinking...better to protect your job and then if you feel comfortable you can tell him.
    fcgriffin

Answer by fcgriffin at 11:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would tell the truth before the company uses all your absenses as a reason to fire you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would tell him before it becomes an issue.
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010