Pregnancy safe face wash?

Hi everyone! I have read everywhere that you shouldn't use regular facewash during pregnancy because of certain ingrediants. I am wondering if anyone knows any pregnancy safe fashwashes? I need to use something and I don't want to use regular soap. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

lamr

Asked by lamr at 11:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The issues from the products can cause subtle damage to developing fetuses- try organic or natural products. I use a face wash by Desert Essence that has tea tree oil in it- works really well- can find it in natural section of my grocery store and local drug store... FYI- most otc baby products contain the unwanted ingredients- try all natural lines (like California Baby) if you want to avoid the synthetic chemicals/fragrances that can disrupt hormonal development and cause other problems.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i use just cleanand clear lol did with this one and the last one ....
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i have never heard of this. Then is shampoo/conditioner/laundry soap/hand soap/lotion/hairspray/makeup/toothpaste----------you get the point----not safe while pregnant??

I used all my normal daily "stuff" when I was pregnant and my boys came out healthy.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• maybe if it has alpha hydroxy in it or salycylic acid it could be unsafe... otherwise i can't think of a reason for it be unsafe for pregnancy. many cosmetics have petroleum products in them that aren't good for your skin, but i wouldn't go so far as to say they are unsafe for pregnancy. of course i will always recommend arbonne as a pure, safe, beneficial product.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• THAT IS STRANGE WHAT BOOK OUR YOU READING ???? I USED ANY KIND OF NORMAL PRODUCT AND MY CHILD IS A NORMAL ,HEALTHY ,SMART CHILD !!! I THINK YOU NEED TO THROW OUT THAT BOOK !!!
    Anonymous

• I have two different books - Your Pregnancy Week by Week and something else. However, everyone tells me that facewash should be avoided. Salycylic acid is in most facewashes, although it is not listed on the back of the bottle. I wrote to Clean & Clear and they wrote me back saying that there was salycylic acid in their products and to consult a doctor before using it while pregnant. I'm very surprised that no one has heard of this. There is also 2 more things to watch out for in fashwash, but I'm at work right now so I don't remember what they're called.
    lamr

Answer by lamr at 9:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I just found a sheet that I wrote down the other ingrediants potentially harmful in facewash: accutane, isotretinoin and retin A (however Clean and Clear did not have these ingrediants).
    lamr

Answer by lamr at 10:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Accutane, Isotrtinoin, and Retin A are ingredients only found in prescription skin care products, not OTC stuff.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I did mention in my earlier post that salycylic acid and alpha hydroxy acids could potentially be harmful if used during pregnancy, however, one is for acne and one is for aging, so those aren't generally in "regular" face wash. The other ingredients you mention are prescription and would never be prescribed to a pregnant woman. Salycylic acid varies greatly in amounts, also, from 0.5% in some acne washes to 10% (yikes).
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Hi there,
    Any is fine if you are worried about it, try an organic line.
    Good Luck!
    http://www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 6:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008