How can you get a 9 year old to stop thinking she is 19. She is hung up on boys.

I try to tell her she is only 9 and still a little girl, she can not grow up to fast. She just gets mad and stops of to her room crying. I hope this is just a preteen thing she is going through, but is driving me nuts.

LaundryMom69

Asked by LaundryMom69 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• be careful girls are doing stuff alot younger these days my neighbors 10 yr old is having sex

AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It's normal for a 9yo to be interested in boys. She isn't growing up to fast, she's right on track... I would be pissed to if my mom told me I was a little girl at 9... She's still young, but she's not a child any more... She's growing up and right where she should be...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thanks for the advice!! I will keep close tabs on her and try to chill out not treat her like a little girl, I guess I don't want her to grow up to fast.
    LaundryMom69

Comment by LaundryMom69 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Ummm...she IS a little girl. If you had said 12 or 13,this would be a whole other story. Who or what is influencing this? Remove the offender!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• What I am worried about, she has been around teenage girls all of her life, and one of them ended up being a teenage pregnacy. This is all of her family, I try to encourage not to have sex until you are married and not to worry about boys, to get your education and get good grades, boys will come later. She has seen alot in her life for no older than she is and I know alot of this comes from school.
    LaundryMom69

Comment by LaundryMom69 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I remember girls in my sixth grade class were already interested in boys. They weren't even in Junior High yet. Some girls have crushes on boys but it never pans out to anything more.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Maybe get her into more activities to get her mind off of them...?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Our 10 year old was just like that. She would come home from school (since 1st grade) and all she wanted to talk about was who liked her and who she was 'going out' with. My husband put his foot down this year and told her he didn't want to hear about boys any more. She was not to 'go out' with anyone and had to stop talking about her 'boyfriends'. It's seemed to work! She's not all about boys this year and it's such a nice surprise. It's not really that normal for them to be that boy crazy that young. Most of her friends weren't as bad about it as she was. Put your foot down and don't even bother trying to explain to her why. And good luck.
    babs2219

Answer by babs2219 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You have to put your foot down with explanation. You cannot tell a child that she cannot have a boyfriend at this age without giving her an explanation and room to talk or else she'll shut down on you when she thinks its time for her to start dating. You have to be open to hear her through BUT you also have to let her know that she's not allowed to have a boyfriend at her age. Ask her what is a boyfriend and what can she do to be a girlfriend to him...Let her know that until she knows who she is and what she's about, the topic of a boyfriend is out of the question...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think at this age its pretty normal for the girls and even some boys to be interested in the opposite sex, and they go through some motions of having a boyfriend or girlfriend because that it was they see older children doing and/or feeling like this is what you do, you have to have male or female partner. My boys went through this and lots of the girls are boy crazy. I simply would ask them why they liked so and so, and what they consider dating or what do bf and gf do these days. I remind my boys they are young and that they don't need to put so much effort into having girlfriend and they should focus on their friends and their other activities and just enjoy themselves. My boys don't have gf's any more (12 & 16) they simply have friends that are girls. Although my older son is going to homecoming with a girl as a "date".
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010