Whats wrong with my fertility charting?

When charting my BBT, my temp went down on day 13 (ovulation day), then went sky high the next day (good)... then went right back down to my normal 97.1 the next day! What is up? I thought your BBT is supposed to stay elevated after you ovulate? Help please!

MrsTexas

Asked by MrsTexas at 6:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Lots of things influence your BBT. Were you hot when you woke up? A slight fever? Did you take your temp later than usual? Go to bed earlier? Do you usually sleep with your mouth open and didn't that night?

What's your cervical fluid doing?

The rule of thumb is to ignore it if one temp is way outside the pattern. So if it doesn't come back up again it's discarded.

Also, there is such a thing as a fall-back rise. It goes up, then goes back down again, and then climbs steadily after that. But that is something that happens pretty consistently if that's what happens, so if this is new, it' smore likely it's just a fluke temp.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• sorry i did not clarify... after it rose the day after ovulation... it came back down and stayed down. It never stayed elevated or went back up besides the day after I ovulated.
    MrsTexas

Comment by MrsTexas (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• same temp time every day and schedule
    MrsTexas

• Did you get your period on time?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• no period yet... im on day 34
    MrsTexas

Comment by MrsTexas (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• pregnancy test negative
    MrsTexas

Comment by MrsTexas (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• that can happen. Is this normal for you? Have been temping for more then one month?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How long have you been charting? How long is your normal cycle?

This sounds like a classic anovulatory cycle to me. They tend to be long and have a weirdly uniform temp pattern. That rise seems like a fluke.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I know my system is out of wack because I got my Mirena taken out in August in the middle of my period, then have not gotten one since. Im just frustraited because charting is pointless when everything is so all over the place. If your temp does not stay up, did you not really ovulate?
    MrsTexas

Comment by MrsTexas (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My cycle pre-mirena were 27 day cycles.
    MrsTexas