how can I make my son to follow directions

momcata

Asked by momcata at 11:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if your son is 3-4 years old then a spanking should be in the picture depending upon what he did. if its something small just take away his privileges or his toys. What child likes to lose snack time???
    quinesha_87

Answer by quinesha_87 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My kids learned at an early age that they would lose privledges and yes it does work with a 4 year old :) If they threw a tantrum I usually ignored it - they don't get the reaction they wanted LOL SO I guess they learned at an early age if you don't want the bad reaction from mom - don't do the bad action!! LOL Now I have nothing against a quick swat on the bum either - sometimes it's a wakeup call for them. Now my kids are teenagers and I when they start to get out of line I just ask them if it's time for their semi-annual a** beating (which they never got but I sure do make them think I will) LOL I'm a single parent and yes my children do fear me enough to behave and luv me enough to come to me with anything at the same time :) LOL
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Unfortunately The Only Way You Can 'Control The Situation' Is To Do Just That...You Have To Take Control n Keep It Consistent... It May Be Hard To Accomplish At First But In The Long Run It Will Be Better For You N Child's Relationship...The Best Form Of Punishment At This Age Is "The Corner" Explain To Them Why They Are In Trouble And Let Them Know You Are Disappointed Because You Know They Can Do Better....Support The Things You Know They Can Do While Reminding Them Whatever He Did Is Not Acceptable...If They Get Up...Put Them Back Until Time Is Up As Many Times As It Takes...Eventually They'll Get The Way Things Go n Know Mommy Means Business...I Know It Sounds Easier Than It Is n Will Be Hard At First But You Can Do It If Thats The Way You Want To...Good Luck Mommy...
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 1:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You just want him to follow directions? If this isn't about a behavior problem.. and it's just about learning to do things you have asked..
    With mine.. I just knelt down to where we were eye to eye.. and I explained to him what needs to be done... step by step. Then I would repeat step 1, and have him do that, and when he was finished, we went over the steps again.. praising him for getting step 1 done.. and now it was time for step 2..
    Like cleaning his room. First we have to get all of your stuffed toys put on the shelf, then we are going to put up the books, then cars. Okay.. lets get all the stuffed toys.. when that was done.. he was all excited.. and it was time to pick up books.. and then the cars.
    The most important part.. is getting down to his level and staying calm .. explain what you want done, and praise him for a job well done.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 3:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2008