With so many complaining about Mexicans "taking our jobs"...

... how do you explain this article?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39380593/ns/business-personal_finance

Americans don't seem to WANT these jobs, so really, what's the issue? And why on earth do people complain about not being able to work, yet apparently feel they're "above" this kind of work?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 6:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I've been saying this all the time. Americans not only don't want these jobs, but they surely wouldn't work that hard for $4 an hour, like the immigrants will. And if these places did hire and pay American's do we need to talk about how high the prices for every day things would go? Seriously, I have never see this stuff as the issue everyone else does...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I personally would take any job right now. I have been saying outscoring is the problem all around because if we made our own products we would have jobs for the citizens and immigrants!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I want any job right now that is going to feed me and my kid pride goeth before the fall. There is no job I am above.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• That area is near where I live, actually. I've driven by too many fields to ever think I would want to do that work. It doesn't pay well enough, the work environment can be hell, and its a tough job. If it were the difference between my family going hungry, and working there I definitely would. But I don't see any other races rushing down to do it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Americans just won't accept the pay and they shouldn't have to.

And they don't have to... But they can't have it both ways... Either they learn to accept the jobs and the pay that comes with them, or they learn to accept that others are going to come in and do them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We are now in a global economy. What can be produced cheaper elsewhere, WILL BE produced cheaper elsewhere. If farm laborers (no matter status) made 20 dollars/hr, food prices would rise substantially and many US farmers would likely go out of business because people here would refuse to (or maybe would be unable) to pay the higher costs for items. More produce would be grown and harvested outside the USA- good bye jobs. Our workforce is bleeding because we can produce nothing CHEAPER and of better quality than other places. Americans demand the higher salary and in the process force the hand of business to push off shore, with the government's blessing. Immigrants will work for less because they live lifestyles that can accommodate a lower income- For example, living multi-generations in 1 small home as opposed to every family of four living in a McMansion-

BOTTOM LINE?- it's all about the $$$$$$.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Because $4 an hour isnt worth it for all the labor of farming. An American wouldnt accept that as pay because its a rip off. Illegals dont mind though because theyre here ILLEGALLY and anything is better than nothing. But anyway, farming isnt the only job issue at hand. They do take plenty of other jobs, for instance, construction. Because why hire one american, when you can hire 3 illegals for the same price. If you feel this is untrue, then you must not live somewhere with alot of illegal immigrants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it has to do with the cost of living too! Everything is going up in price but nobody wants to pay anything. It's kind of like a catch 22!!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 6:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't have a problem with immigrants coming in and working to better their and their families lives. I've never had someone take my job, but I was in the Army and am now working to become a Dietitian. My problem with illegal immigration, is that well it's illegal! If they want to come over legally and work whatever job they can find, whatever.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How can any person out of work not want a job. It isn't that American's don't want them. It is that they have been told that they are too good for them. They have been told that they don't have to do hard work that is often dirty or unpleasant. They want high paying jobs except a GED or high school drop out can't get the high paying job. So, these people have 2 choices. Take the physically demanding jobs or go on PA. They choose PA because they are too proud and lazy to do the hard work. I have told my sons all their lives that nothing is beneath them. Hard work is something to take pride in. If you are out of work and have to dig a ditch, then dig the best ditch in town. There is honor in hard work. We have citizens that want to be a brain surgeon but didn't stay in school enough to even get a HS diploma.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010