Not sure if its true?

I heard Obama wants to extend the school year? Did anyone else hear that?

soccerfanatic14

Asked by soccerfanatic14 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in

• That's a great idea! I hope its true

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I read a headline mentioning that but I didn't read the whole story.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The length of the school year is not the problem. It's the lack of parental support.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes, it was part of his announcement this morning. He also wants to reward good teachers and get rid of the bad ones. As well a number of other things. I have been pushing for a year round schooling program locally since I was in middle school... So a longer school year for me sounds great!

Education is the most important thing we can give our children or ourselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would love for them to be is school a little longer each year. I hate summer daycare cost. :0) I know sounds horrible but really he's better off in school learning than in my friends house. He can't go to a regular daycare because of his special needs and is bored at my friends house with the babies...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• He has been saying this for a long time. I think it is a good idea. I am a strong supporter of year round school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Hopefully we could not only have a longer school year but also year-round school and a longer school day.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• yes, some places already do this, but their vacationing times are longer. I didn't read the entire story about his plan this time around.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I homeschool, and school year round. We do six weeks on, two weeks off. With a Month in the summer and a month in the winter, and a few days here and there. It works so much better. There is no 3 month gap when they lose everything they have learned and there is no need to spend weeks reviewing what was lost.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 11:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would not however, support a longer day. Where is the Family time? Time for extra sports, hobbies, and activities? Believe it or not but there are still many families in the US who hold value is time together. Kids already spend close to eight hours a day in school, why make them spend longer? I do not see the benifit there.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 11:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010