what are you doing to save $$$?

Any tips to sucessfully save & stack $$

Lovelymee23

Asked by Lovelymee23 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• i save all my online earnings and we have a budget online at mint.com wow did a budget open my eyes up! we have 2 kids college funds to save for also, thats 100 a month too save plus our nest egg so all my money is just in those 3 savings
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We also do a written budget. To be specific it's the zero based budget where every dollar has a "name" so there is no money slipping through the cracks.

A Blaine Harris book calls money a resource like water. IF you don't have pipes directing the water, it just goes wherever. Same thing with money- only you use a budget instead of pipes to direct your assets.

Doing the written budget has saved our family so much money. And it's weird, but it doesn't feel like it's cut our life style at all. In fact it some ways it feels like we get more out of it than we did before having a budget.

Just a thought :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have a retirement plan.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I put 10% in my savings account no matter what. I cloth diaper and am considering cloth wipes now as well, eat meat only with dinner, print coupons, buy store brand instead of national for almost everything.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Buy store brand, don't go out to eat, no mall trips, only buy what is absolutely necessary.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• cloth diapers
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• pray...and avoid Walgreens (bunch of useless, expensive cool things in there)...pack my kid's lunches for school, banned starbucks and bought coffee pot, quit smoking, got a second job, got first job to approve work at home to cut down gas/cafeteria expense/aggravation, order meds thru mail versus in store pharmacy (my copays are killing me), turn off all the lights, unplug everything, take the bus instead of drive the car or just walk, check coupons wall at grocery store before shopping, forfeit expensive toilet paper for bargain deals, support arts and crafts addiction via craigslist (yarn is expensive), sell arts and crafts stuff asap, increase retirement contribution, stash $20 a week in account i can't see or touch (great interest rate), dial down cell phone plan to bare minimum, cut house phone down to dial tone only, learn to say no to kids....

...but mostly pray on it
    fcgriffin

Answer by fcgriffin at 11:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• clip coupons, buy store brand, make breakfast or vegetarian meal once a week, throw our extra coins in a can and singles every now and then and in 2 or 3 months do a weeks groceries with that, sometimes two. sign up for store coupons. I got a jcpenney coupon for $10, I bought my son a sweater that was originally $21 for $1 plus tax. It was on sale for 10.99, coupon for $10, i paid the difference. I had one for kohls also. In the fall and winter i'll make soup, stew or chili a few times a month, i'll put tons of veggies in it to bulk it up. i like liquid soap in the bathroom, so i'll buy a big bottle of cheap shampoo, I buy suave when the market has it for $.79, i get a few bottles and i can fill up my soap dispenser 2 1/2 times with one $.79 bottle. I know someone that uses suave as a shampoo and body wash, it's a guy though, he doesnt care about ph balance and conditioning, lol.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• breastfeeding
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010