My 14 month old is teething with blisters on her tongue, lip and gums.

She also has a fever. How can I help the blisters go away? The fever seems to be getting under control. But she's still uncomfortable from the blisters. Please Help!

Simony

Asked by Simony at 11:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_hand-foot-and-mouth-disease_11433.bc

My daughter just got over this. hope it helps

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• well my daughter was a little younger than that and I took her to the hospital for it. At first I was giving her Tylenol before I fed her because it would hurt her to eat. I also tried not to give her foods that were salty or too sweet because the sugar and salt burns the blisters. At the hospital they gave me a medicine which numbed the blisters so that she could eat and they were gone in a bout a day and a half or two days. I dont quite remember the name of it but it looks like saliva. When i mentioned a numbing medicine that looked like saliva they knew what i was talking about. I hope I was able to help a little and I hope She feels better very soon.
    quinesha_87

Answer by quinesha_87 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• blisters aren't normal...take her to the doc about that. My niece got blisters in her mouth and it ended up being herpes (like the cold sore version of the virus but all inside her mouth)
    Anonymous

• There is a couple things that I know of that it can be one is a type of herpes simplex virus, not the std and the blisters can be very painful, a doctor can prescribe some numbing med for the mouth that you just swab in there. Another thing it can be is hands, foot and mouth disease, which is also a virus. If that is what it is you will also start to notice little blisters on the hands and feet. Both of them are contagious. You will probably going to want to go to the doctor because if the blisters get to painful, and your baby can't eat then you will have to worry about dehydration.
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Sounds like coxsackie.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• another thing...dont panic or get too worried about the comments people are leaving ok. Just try to stay calm and be optimistic. With her having a fever persistently then they can just be fever blisters but it could be a virus...an airborne virus in which the doctor will prescribe a numbing med for it...or an infection....simply known as a common cold. My daughter had them and so did my baby cousin. Just take her to the doctor. preferrably the hospital because they take blood cultures.
    quinesha_87

Answer by quinesha_87 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The teething won't cause blisters. My guess is Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease. It is very contagious but not dangerous. It's sort of like a bad cold. The mouth sores are very painful so don't hold back on the pain meds. Don't worry if she doesn't want to eat but make sure she gets plently of fluids. She may get sores on the palms of her hands and bottom of her feet too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Hand Foot and Mouth disease is what it sounds like. My Daughter had this when she was little, and the doc told me there is usually a large outbreak of it ever 7 years or so.. and guess what.. this is the year! There have been several of the parents of kids where i work that have mentioned it.

4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My nephew had blisters in his mouth and it ended up being hand foot and mouth. Just check her hands and feet for spots. If there are spots it hand foot and mouth. Definitely take her to the dr. Blisters in the mouth are not normal.

lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Oddly enough, I got HFMD @ boot camp...there are some unusual illnesses that go around at boot camp...

If that is what she has, its not fun...I would take her to the doctors either way, so they can check it out and get her something for the pain.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2008