My two year old wants to snack on everything and nothing at all at the same time!

She doesnt eat many thing really, she loves mac n cheese and then its all about fruit, all kinda all the time. When shes at day care she doesnt eat much then when she gets homes she goes in the fridge over and over and she picks things and after I prepare them she wont eat them! She then asks for something else, I say no and then the melt down begins! Besides locking up the cabbinets and fridge what do I do? I hate wasting food when she doesnt want to eat what she asks for. HELP!!!

SarahsMom08

Asked by SarahsMom08 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how old is your daughter? at 1 or 2 years old i would say she shouldnt be going through the fridge and cabinets picking and choosing. dont get me wrong i keep quick snacks where my son can reach them but he only gets them if hes gonna eat them. if i make him a sandwich he isnt gonna take one bite throw it on the floor and get an apple. call me a mean mom but im not raising my son to be a spoiled, wasteful brat. i get what karma's dr means about moving around while eating, and i let my son do it all the time. usually, snacks or occasionally breakfast if we are just gonna share something. but he always eats his lunch and dinner at the table. and he eats what i make for the family, not like i force him to eat things he dont like but hes not gonna pick out his own meals either.
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 11:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Put your foot down. Don't let her pick out of the fridge what she wants, you pick 2 snacks for her to pick between. If she changes her mind and doesn't want it, then snack time is over.
    megarooniduh

Answer by megarooniduh at 7:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Same here and I'm stuck just like you lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 8:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I struggle with this. DD gets special treats for special things (like successfully using the potty), but mostly, she eats when it's time to eat and we save her food if she isn't interested. I don't keep it until it's gross, but if she doesn't want lunch at lunchtime it's the only food before dinner. This has cut down on her food issues quite a bit. That, and we try really hard not to get stuck in a food rut.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 8:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i agree with @mega..put your foot down..if she dont want what u put out take everything back an tell her no..if she cries you tell her that she can t have it your way..an if she keeps crying then she will just have to cry
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• toddlers graze, my ped said that toddlers tend to eat better when able to move around while eating. thats why highly nutritous snacks all day is better than them not eating or being limited in their food options.
    Karmawolf

Answer by Karmawolf at 11:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• another thing, 1 and 2 year olds typically dont need much food cause they are not growing as fast as the were in the first year. so what she is eating may not seem like much but may really be plenty for her. also they are a lot busier and can sometimes "forget" to eat. i would make sure the day care is reminding her to eat while she is there, and maybe try making smaller portions at home.
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 11:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My 2 yr old does this, too.

If he doesn't eat what he's offered/picked, he has to wait an hour or so.
    Usually, by that time, he's ready for it, lol.

LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2010