Just heard

Just heard on NBC nightly news that the oil spill is only halfway cleaned up.. That's just awful. I find it funny after hearing that stat, that someone on here said its old news. I don't think that's true. Does anyone have any hope the Gulf will once be what it was?

soccerfanatic14

Asked by soccerfanatic14 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's old news to the people it doesn't effect, sadly we're a pretty self-centered society. For most- outta sight outta mind.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It's going to be years and years before everything is cleaned up, it simply can't be done overnight.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sure it will be. Nature is a remarkable thing. It heals itself well if we just leave it alone and let it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It is the largest oil spill in history, it won't go away that quickly
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It happened months ago--that's why it s "old news" but we hear more details about what happened every day or so. It doesn't mean that people don't care. You are being very pessimistic,I think. We all care and we all feel for the people involved. AND we all care about the environment---it impacts us all.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• LMAO gertie...it was NEVER really BIG news. NONE of the major (lefty) news channels gave it any real coverage and out benevolent president spent most of the early days on Vaca....but hey whose reporting...oh THATS right NONE of them! We are STILL down here and they were VERY VERY VERY slow in getting the equipment down here and think of all the animals that DIED due to the lack of response, not to mention the buisness' and livelihoods that have tanked.....but then the environs dont care and the liberals dont mind...not THEIR constituency and THEIR pres can do no wrong.......But BUSH...now BUSH woulda been reamed...hypocrites. I really think the handling of this is one more thing that will bite his and the other lefty's butts this election cycle....just one more on a LOOOOOOOONG list....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• . I really think the handling of this is one more thing that will bite his and the other lefty's butts this election cycle....just one more on a LOOOOOOOONG list....

Answer by momof030404 an hour ago

LOL, Momof 30404....where were you when the news about the Oil Spill was on all the time.on all channels and in the newspapers? .AND this was a BP problem, the Presidents's problem to solve. BP had bad equipment. BP could not seem to plug the leak. BP is the problem.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• .AND this was a BP problem, NOT the Presidents's problem to solve. BP had bad equipment. BP could not seem to plug the leak. BP is the problem.
    How can anyone with a brain blame anyone but BP?????
    I am constantly amazed at the stupidity shown here at CM. And the dishonesty. Most will lie and twist the truth, do anything to insist that everything is the President's fault.
    And I didn't even blame Bush for the Katrina issues so don't tell me I am one-sided.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We can't worry about oil! We have to worry about Lindsay Lohan! (complete and total sarcasm)
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• LOL Leigh - exactly!!

It's going to take years for the gulf to return to normal. The effects in the coastal areas (wetlands, Lake Ponchatrain, etc.) were catastrophic. Out to sea, the ocean itself has done a great job at cleaning itself up, the effects on deep water won't take near as long to clean up as the shoreline mess.

I'm no Obama supporter, but he isn't to blame for the mess or the lackluster clean up efforts. It took BP a long time to cap that well, primarily because of the depth. Not that they aren't to blame, but this was an incredibly complex breach to correct.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010