Am I right for standing my ground....with my mother?

First off, she is very controlling and opinionated. And she basically forces her opinions about the way things should be done on us...her kids.

Well I generally put up with it, and let it go in one ear and out the other....sometimes though I have had ENOUGH!!

So she comes over today and my kids want to go jump on our trampoline with daddy...she proceeds to tell me they need shoes and jackets on.

WELL...they jump without shoes and once they start jumping they get hot....so I said...they will be fine...she tells me again...I say...they will be fine....again she says it...I said..."JUST GO" and she stormed out.

I probably overreacted....but I get so frusterated...they are my kids, my house!!! And its such a stupid thing to tell me over and over again!!

What would you have done!

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 7:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I have had to stand my ground with my mom on a very few occasions. I think it's hard for her to remember that I am a grown up and a Mommy myself. The "Get Out" might have been a bit much but I think you were completely right to stand your ground, and I can't say that if it was a constant thing with my mom that I wouldn't have been pushed that far too!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 7:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• the same thing, my mother does it all the time when i am getting after my kids, she thinks its ok to tell me dnt be getting after them or he can have some gum, in front of my kids, then my kiddos think im a nobody because what gma says goes, i do yell at her every once in a while, i can tell she gets offended and all but they are my kids and what i say goes,not her.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My mom would do things like this and pretend to back down only a couple days later because she did not get her way she would call CPS on you and then call and act like she didn't know what was going on that was when I cut her off. You have to stand your ground or they will try to take over. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• STAND YOUR GROUND DO NOT BACK DOWN.. The minute they smell wavering weakness they pounce. lol. but no really you were in the right to stand your ground... My hubbys grandmother is like that. Eh It drives me insane. Thankfully after five years she has finally learned when it comes to my child & my rules I will not back down... now if only I can make the hubby get that. =)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Remember that she probably thinks she is helping out, there is probably no harm meant, just the way she has always been, hard to change, and I am sure she means well. I can also understand your frustration....hard place to be at.

Answer by older at 7:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• in this kind of thing i get how frustrated you are, especially with it being your home, but i would pick much larger battles. that's just me.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• she would call CPS on you and then call and act like she didn't know what was going on that was when I cut her off.

OH WOW I my mom would never go that far...she just plays the hurt feelings card....that IS a reason to cut a mom out!!!
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I mean your reason pinkdragon...not mine....lol sounded wrong when I read it back...
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My mother is the exact same way. Everything turns into an argument. I would have done the same thing and my mother would have left too and I would just let it go because she will never change because she doesn't see what she is doing as wrong. Her views and opinions are the only right ones. There are times we don't for long period of times only because I do not want to deal with it. Over five years ago my DH even told her to leave me alone and she has backed off a bit but she now puts a guilt trip on you for not calling her. I never just call her because I am done with the opinions and arguing.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010