What are the essential "big ticket" items for a baby that you HIGHLY recommend? (Like, that are more costly)

I'm pregnant and trying to budget in all of the larger items!! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i suggest a pack and play, my son used it for his naps and there are some with bassinets and we used ours that came with a diaper changing thing. it was cool, and we used it until he was two. i could also take it with me other places.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• carseat, stroller, pack n play or crib unless you are planning to co sleep, and I personally could not have lived without a swing for either of my kids.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• SWING!!!! And a stoller that is comfortable for you to use... a good infant car seat and a sling (try slings on find a comfortable one)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I loved having a rocking chair, its not really a must have for some poeple but it was for me
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 7:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We got most of our stuff from Craigslist.com. If you live in a larger area and are in early pregnancy, it might work well for you. I watched CL like a hawk. Not all baby items work for all babies so you can buy items that have only been used a couple of times for 1/2 the price. You just have to be watching for it. For example, we got the swing for 10 dollars and it was brand new. Their baby didn't like it so they sold it. I got a ton of stuff from a couple that was moving. I bought a couple of things and then she gave me a ton of stuff because they were leaving the next day. SCORE! We got our high chair for $30 and it looked like it was right out of the box. Oh, and our travel system (stroller/car seat) with 2 bases was only $40. However, I would suggest buying the crib mattress, changing table pad, bedding, and baby bath new.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 7:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• What price range do you mean for a "big ticket". One of the things I really liked for Cody was his bouncer. I know some kids don't use them much, but he loved to sit in it while it fit! :)
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 7:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I had a bouncer, pack n play, bassinet,jumperoo, changing table, EVERYTHING the only thing I used really was a high chair and crib that turns into a bed.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Crib(unless you're planning on co-sleeping), travel system, pack n play, dresser if that's how you're going to organize your baby's clothes, rocking chair. The big ticket item I didn't buy was a changing table because it was easier to use a blanket wherever, and didn't take up room. Good luck and congrats. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We got the crib (with a new mattress), dressers and rocking chair all from craigslist. I never did find an instance where I actually needed a stroller.

If you're planning to breastfeed, I'd HIGHLY recommend a Boppy (though my mom did find an off brand pillow of the same shape at the craft store for much cheaper).
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We bought a short dresser (about waist height) and put a changing pad on top of it. Cheaper than a changing table, and far more useful for far longer. (And takes a lot less space than having both)
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010