Can someone please show me the research on smoking while pregnant?

I would like to see the research that states that it is stressful on the fetus, I know it is stressful on the parent. What doctor would recommend that a pregnant woman continue to smoke?

I am nott asking if this makes for good or bad parenting. I am asking for facts please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Oh, how damn lazy can you be? Seriously? There's an overwhelming amount of research on the negative health impacts of any substance use, including smoking, on an unborn child. If you're wanting to see research, LOOK FOR IT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• if u quit smokeing cold turkey it could harm thee baby..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Have you Googled it? There is a lot of info on Google also if you go to a OB/GYN office they will give you info even if u arent a patient.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How can quitting smoking harm the baby? I know there is a ton of research reporting that it is bad for the baby... I have seen man references today about how it would harm the baby if a pregnant woman quit smoking..... I have searched the internet and I can't find where any evidence.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I know for a fact in my cousin's case the doc told her at 7 weeks pregnant to cut back on 1 cigarrette per day until she was down to 0. By the end of the month she had quit and started her 2nd trimester nicotine free.
    I believe they recommend that method of quitting. i guess the fetus is nicotine addicted too and has to "quit smoking" too.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t105800.asp

AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksBirth.html

ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I know of a few doctors that advice against quitting. My SILs doctor for instance told her quitting would put her at a higher risk of miscarriage and would put the baby under higher stress. He also said there is a much higher danger in using quitting aids, which have been linked to brain damage in the unborn, than there is in continuing to smoke.

I didn't smoke while pregnant, but I know of at least 3 different local OBs which advise against quitting while pregnant because of the dangers. Since I didn't have to worry about it, I didn't do the research, but I will see what I can find...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Every time you smoke a cigarette it constricts the baby's umbilical cord which is like holding the baby's head underwater. At birth a woman who has smoked baby will have a thinner umbilical then a woman who doesn't. Smoking during pregnancy can increase the risk of SIDS and other breathing disorders. I quit the very day I heard that and it's been hard but I'm staying strong for my daughter's health. When I quit it did NOT hurt my baby.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 2:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2010