How can I get my daughter not to unbuckle her seatbelt?

We have tried almost everything to get her to leave it alone! We have spanked her so many times that I think she is just so hard-headed!! LOL We have even tried "hiding" it with her seat but she still manages to find it! Please help!!

mommaof3girls24

Asked by mommaof3girls24 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put her back into a 5 point harness. She is obviously not ready for a booster.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 7:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• There is a web site www.mypreciouskid.com they have a seat belt buckle cover called an Angel Guard (2 for $19.99). It covers the buckle lock so your little one can't unbuckle it.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 8:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree. find a 5 point harness for her to go back into. It is a safety issue if she can't act like a big girl and leave her seat belt alone then she needs to go back into a baby seat until she can. That's what I would do...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The Angel Guard is dangerous. No one know's what it will do in an actual crash. Plus, how would you get it off fast if there were an emergency?
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 8:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i agree with the moms who said put her back in the 5 point. and if it were my daughter i would make it a point to tell her that since she cant be a big girl by leaving her seat buckle alone, she now has to go back into the baby seat until she can act like a big girl in the car. luckily my 3 year old knows not to unbuckle herself til we get home but if i were having this problem that's exactly what i would tell her! good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If she is out of a 5 pt harness, then put her back in one.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• she can undo the buckle in the 5-point also.
    mommaof3girls24

Comment by mommaof3girls24 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How old is she??

Not to be rude. But most 5 point harness' are hard to unbuckle(the bottom buckle at least). If she can unbuckle the bottom part while in the seat, I would have to say it is not adjusted correctly. Because if it is tight enough and in the correct spot(acording to her weight/size/height) she would not be able to put enough pressure on the bottom buckle to open it.

She needs to be taught how important it is to keep her seatbelt on, with reguards to safety and the law(like you can get pulled over and have to pay a ticket) and if possible dont allow her to ride in the car for a few days untill she listens.

Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I told my daughter that she can't unbuckle herself ( in a booster) until Mommy has turned the car off and Mommy has her seatbelt off. I told her that if someone would hit our car from behind and she wasn't in a seatbelt that she would get hurt very bad and have to go to the hospital and couldn't play with her barbies...it worked!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Put her in the 5 point and make sure the belts are tight. There should not be enough slack in the belt for her to have the strength to unbuckle it. Check your manual for guidelines on fitting the belts.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010