Gift ideas for 11 year old girl and 13 year old boy?

My older kids are getting difficult to shop for! The 3 year old will be super easy, but my step-kids are another story! I can barely remember the things we got them last year because they never really used any of it. The only gift that my step-son still uses is his MP3 player. I don't think my step-daughter plays with anything she got, but she did get a couple of outfits that she still wears. She'll be 11 in January and still THINKS she wants toys, but never plays with them. So, what do I get? I usually spend about $400 per kid, but this year we've decided to cut back a lot. The kids are spoiled anyway, and don't appreciate what they have! So, this year we'll only be spending about $150 per kid. Any ideas? Especially for the 11 year old girl!

winkie_pinkie

Asked by winkie_pinkie at 11:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Maybe if your daughter has any special "budding interests" you could get her an "experience" instead of a thing... if she likes to bake, give her a spot in a cooking class (along with a gift card to a kitchen supply store or bed, bath, and beyond). If she's into painting, sign her up for an art class (with a gift card to Michael's). Sports = tennis lessons (gift card to dick's)... and so on. That would be a really fun, memorable thing.
    ChapelleCDH

Answer by ChapelleCDH at 11:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• lol if you are anything like my mother was with us, it was condoms and birth controll

maybe a sex toy hahaha..
    Anonymous

• Yes, I thought of the "experience" thing and have pretty much decided that for christmas my step-son is going to get a 4 day ski trip with our church youth group and the stuff he'll need for the trip (he needs new snow pants, gloves, etc.) I can't think of anything like that for my 11 year old, though. She wants to do dance lessons, but we've been telling her that she needs to focus on bringing up her grades and that as soon as she brings them up, we'll enroll her in dance lessons. SO, I don't really want to go there just because it's our incentive for her bringing up her grades!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I have three teens and the biggest thing for them is cell phones. I give my stepson the money because he prefers clothes and shoes, but I take him to do the shopping. A digital camera and a scrapbooking kit for a girl. My kids always like to redo their rooms also, you know every day they have a different favorite color. So I have done the bed sets and some decorations in their favorite colors.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 1:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My oldest will be turning 13 right after Christmas. Some of the things she's been into the last few years are jewelry, art and craft projects, I don't think she's ever seen a Klutz kit she didn't HAVE to have, she claims that she can never have to much clothes or shoes even though I disagree, she still likes her own scented bath kits, the Nintendo DS was another one of those things she just had to have, she wasn't that impressed with her MP3 player but loves her Karaoke machine. Diary's and journals, gel pens. That was also when she started asking for poster's to hang in her room. If she collects anything, you can always give her something to add to her collection. I hope this helped :)

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Kids are all so different. Ask them both to write out a wish list to make it easier. My nephew is 12 and loves Guitar Hero. My dd is 12 and loves her MP3, digital camera, girly hair stuff, earrings, purses, lip gloss, straightening iron.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My dd is so not girly girly so we are going to get her a scooter but she is still "little" enough to be into Webkinz and some of those animal/game items. So I found her a Whimzy dragon Webkinz she really wanted. She also loves gift certificates at this point because it makes her feel she has a choice!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Thanks for all the ideas- I think maybe the craft kits would be a good idea for her because she likes that kind of stuff. I plan to put earrings and lip glosses in her stocking. It SEEMS logical to have her make a list, BUT she always asks for stuff that she just has to have and then never, ever plays with it! Even the stuff she picks out and buys with the gift cards that grandparents send just gather dust. She doesn't really know what she wants! I think I may get her a new bike, though, because I think maybe she's beginning to outgrow the one she has. The only thing with that is that we live in Colorado and there will be snow till April, so she won't be able to use it! But, it's not something that we could wait till her birthday so she could use it, because her birthday is right after Christmas, anyway, so she'd still have to wait till everything thaws somewhat to use it!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 11:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Well we bought our daughter a snowboard and boots and bindings last year and she loved it and uses it all the time of course it probably helps we live in Colorado and my husband works for the ski resort so we all get free season passes and she get's half off ski/board school. But It's an idea. Good Luck
    momfairy

Answer by momfairy at 11:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• An ipod mini ($50). I would add an itunes gift card ($15) a great pair of jeans ($25), a top she would really like ($25); a nice journal and pen set ($15); a gift card to a favorite store like Barnes and Nobles or Claires ($15) with a bookmark or hairband ($5). I hesitate not to spend more than that for my 11 you girl but if this is what she got, she sure would use it and enjoy it. I don't do boys : )
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2008