Do your teens know how and when to perform self examinations?

For young women (18+), a breast exam. For young men (15 yo+), a testicular exam? I work at a high school and one of our students has testicular cancer. It strikes males as young as fifteen!

manna1qd

Asked by manna1qd at 11:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I am 15 and the best way make sure is to leave abook in thier room. Dont try to talk about it, it will just make it feel embarrassing and taboo. Just leave the book when you know thier friends wont be around. Trust me. They will get curious and look at it. I always wished my parents would drop off the info I was too embarrased to ask for. All my friends parents did. It really worked and they even shared it with me. E-mail me if you wnat to know anything else!!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Unfortunatly my girls have cancer on both sides of their immed. family so yes they have known since before puberty how to perform self checks. I'm very open about this and what ever other issues they have with their bodies. And if I don't know we call the Dr :) Do you know that there is a new way to check for lumps in your breasts - they now say to do it laying down - like at the dr office. Lumps are easier to feel than if standing up.
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Wow I didn't know that. I will discuss it with my kids. Thanks!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2008