Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody Question?

I'm thinking about leaving my Fiance'... but I'm scared of losing my little girl. I don't know why I just am.. It's a confusing relationship between the two of us. How does the custody thing work if you're not married? What happends? Please let me know if you've been in this situation. Even write a msg to me if you want. *confused*

Answer Question

Asked by Angela411 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • we just went thru Friend of the Court. The hospital set it up as soon as he was born. Maybe try the custody issues group for more help

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • Went to court - dad didn't show 2x I got full custody with no visitation for him - visitation is what "I" deemed resonable. I've had my girls on my own since they were 1 & 3, they're now 15 & 17 and wonderful, well balanced young ladies :) They do have both of our last names - it's hyphenated, his first then mine. I figure they can choose which they want to use later :)

    Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • it depends on dad....and state....look up your attorney general office in whatever state...if you have no reason to keep kid away from dad then by bare minimum he will get a few weekends out of every month and holidays here n there and spring vacations...thats the normal status they put on the custody depending you keep custody n you both agree...the only real way you can find out is to set up an appointment or just check the web site for attorney general in whatever state your in...they put all thier stuff on just takes alil lookin...

    Answer by Killemo at 2:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • In california it's different you only get full custody if the other parent is deemed unfit not even the movie stars get full custody the laws are just not like that it usually fifty my brother in law is going through a divorce and the kids stayed with my sister in law and my brother in law picks them up after school they have a friendly divorce and gets them every weeken.It depends also what kind of attorney you get and the restrictions that are put on the custody papers.and if you think he is going to be easy you know him best.If I were to get a divorce it would be diffucult becase I am a control freak he would probably see them on my terms on my schedule plus I have a really good friend that is a attorney he is one of my good friends and would fight like hell for me he is a great lawyer plus I have a house he would not have a stable place to live if I kick him out the house is under neath my name.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • If you are unmarried then in most states custody is automatically granted to the mother. You have the right to take your daughter and keep her away from the father until a court hearing, however if you are acting in a vindictive way or trying to alienate the father then you will be looked down on by the courts. Your best bet is to go down to the court house and file for a temporary custody order and then go on through the courts and get a specific custody and support and visitation order.

    Answer by tagable at 11:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.